Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How important is job desc?

In my office people complains that there's no formal job desc given to them. I personally don't think it's that important as long as my yearly objective is clear and agreed by both management and me and in the performance review process it is judged objectively.

My question: in your opinion how important is clearly defined job description? if yes, how detailed it should be?

Regards

Big Ben Fro
Friday, June 04, 2004

"as long as my yearly objective is clear and agreed by both management and me and in the performance review process it is judged objectively."

In my opinion detailed job descriptions are for those occasions  you need to sort out what is your responsibility and what is not. In a goal driven environment as what you described, it has no real value, because you and the management agree to some mutual conditions describing your goals and level of authority in the process of achieving it.

As long as it works, there is even no room for statements like "heck! that's not even my responsibility!", which are the subject of formal job descriptions, usually.

Regards,

chance

chance
Friday, June 04, 2004

I think it's handy to be able to say, "Look, I'm doing things beyond/higher than my job description.  Clearly I need a raise/promotion/staff of 100 to do my bidding"

Friday, June 04, 2004

I would agree with the above posters, except for the fact that every job description I've ever seen says at the very bottom, "and all other responsibilities assigned by management."

IMHO, that makes most job descriptions a fun toy for HR, but leaves them without any value (for the employee).

Greg Hurlman
Friday, June 04, 2004

I believe in many jurisdictions at least in the U.S. there is a legal reason for job descriptions. So if you're hired as an engineer and you end up sweeping the floors, it's breach of contract and you can quit without having to repay relocation expenses, etc.

Rob
Friday, June 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home