Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Old school certification schemes

I was just reading Bruce Eckel's books when I realizes there is no way to test my knowledge of C or C++ like we do in MS languages or Java. I mean, what is the equivalent of a Java Certification exam to a C/C++ programmer? How can he prove he knows his stuff like a Sun Certified Java Programmer or a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer?

RP
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Start an open source project at SourceForge.net. :p

Green Pajamas
Thursday, June 03, 2004

A certificate from a corporation means what now?

Thursday, June 03, 2004

It still means a lot. All job offers I get ask for a certification.

RP
Thursday, June 03, 2004

> It still means a lot. All job offers I get ask for a certification.
Sounds like you answered your own question. If job offer asks for a certification, then that is the one you should work towards. If it isn't mentioned then the certification is useless (for this situation).

SC
Thursday, June 03, 2004

My question was both empyrical and practical.

Empyrical because there is no way for you to know how good someone knows C/C++. They can recite all the containers in the STL without knowing how pointers work and if you didn't pay much attention and hired that guy, you'd be in a world of hurt, when deadlines started slipping because he was learning the basics on the job.

Practical because I personally need someplace to remove exercises from.

RP
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I personally like the really "old school" certification called a B.S. in Computer Science.  I even here there are lots of organizations granting them :)

Ben Combee
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I'm not certified, and have never been asked for a certification. In addition to my resume that mentions my past experience with C++, I've answered interview questions about C++ ("what is its most useless feature?"), and answered written "Hello world" and "reverse-string-in-place" and "recursion" kinds of programming exercise quizzes; plus, probation period.

Christopher Wells
Thursday, June 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home