Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Where's Joel?

It seems like it has been a while since Joel made an appearance on his site.

Since he closed down 'joel on software', I assumed he would be making more entries to the site -- but silence has fallen.

No offense, guys and gals, many of you are quite brilliant (and entertaining).  Still, I still want Joel's insights as well as yours.

AllanL5
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

He's hiding with Wally.

Where's Wally?
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Joel went crazy and has gone far far away.

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Who's Joel? :p

Green Pajamas
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Well, when closing "Ask Joel", he stated that he preferred to write long articles instead of small postings, because his small postings seemed to have a hidden subject saying "bash me".

So that's probably what's going on: He's writing long articles, long articles take a longer time to produce, thus output from Joel will appear less often, but in bigger chunks.

Martin A. Bøgelund
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I'd wager he's building an army of 50-ft walking robots.

Jimmy Jo-jo
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Or providing grammar and spelling lessons for the H1B Indians.

Thursday, June 03, 2004

I guess he's moved out to the desert, judging by the banner picture on his main JoS site.

I did send him a message, asking what he was up to recently, but I haven't got a reply as yet.

Perhaps Joel has gone on vacation to his summer house for some R&R.

Steve Jones (UK)
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I heard he was stuck in meetings with investment bankers, trying to raise $800bn for a hostile bid for Microsoft.

But, hey, what do I know...

Robert Smithson
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Another obvious explanation:

Joel skimmed through his beloved forum and saw that we all actually are as smart and clever as we think we are, and Joel found that he had nothing relevant to add.

Martin A. Bøgelund
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Perhaps he's *gasp*...working!

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Thursday, June 03, 2004

His last post on the Ask Joel forum was yesterday:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6206&ixReplies=14

Ged Byrne
Thursday, June 03, 2004

He got drafted. Special elite early draft. He has to help prepare for the general US nationals on JoS draft that will be called in October.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I see that the 'New Topic' on the Ask Joel forum has been taken away.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Ged,

Joels last post in "Ask Joel" is dated May 12.
You posted June 3, so somebody must have ripped out a bunch of pages from your calendar, since you can call that "yesterday".

Martin A. Bøgelund
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Joel was last seen scavaging the Tatooine Jundland Wastes hunting jawas and moisture farmers.....

Gen'xer
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I bet you he is really "Anon", and is trying to figure out how to spend his 11.5 million.

Charley Bogwill
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I sure hope not

Berlin Brown
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I am sorry Anon, I've been a bad mood this week, no offense, I'll stop

Berlin Brown
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I head Joel discovered City of Heroes and he's playing 20 hours / day a scrapper named Woolver1ne that wear only spandex.

Heroe of the city
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Erm....

These bank holidays always throw me.

Ged Byrne
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Read his explanation of why he closed "Ask Joel".

Translation:  Joel can't stand the idea of anyone disagreeing with anything he says.

That would explain his lack of activity here.

My Cousin Vinniwashtharam
Thursday, June 03, 2004

"Translation:  Joel can't stand the idea of anyone disagreeing with anything he says."

Don't be an ass.  If everything you post draws tons of crap, at a certain point the crap you have to take is going to outweigh the upside of posting anything at all.  Once there's no incentive to post, you stop posting.  I mean, who wants to get their teeth kicked in on a regular basis?

It's as natural as the morning.

Norrick
Thursday, June 03, 2004

No he's around. He's just giving us silent treatment because a) some people voiced their critisism recently b) we haven't been praising him left and right during the past couple of months.

Peace loving person
Thursday, June 03, 2004

>I mean, who wants to get their teeth
> kicked in on a regular basis

If you have something to say you can just say it.
It you don't have to defend against every attack.

son of parnas
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I've kidnapped him. If you all pay me 1000 of your local currency units I'll let him go again, okay? Actually forget that, he's getting on my nerves, if I pay you, will you take him back?

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Joel's dead, he's locked in my basement!  (ha ha!)

Eminem
Thursday, June 03, 2004

1000 of our currency units?

It just so happens I have a 1000-peso Colombian note in my pocket right now.  That's ... erm ... exactly 36.7 cents, American.

Don't spend it all in one place.

Alyosha`
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Joel?  Who's Joel?  I don't know any Joel...

Wally
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I see your 1000-peso note and raise you 1000 lei (Romanian) in 100-lei coins, stacked on my desk, which are worth USD 3 cents, or an hour's worth of programming in India.

Kyralessa
Thursday, June 03, 2004

He once invited us cordially into his house, and we turned out to be a herd of irresponsible brats.

We accepted his hospitality, then started attacking him, completely forgetting that he is our friend and peer, instead treating him like some intangible "leader" who we feel "compelled" to bring down.

Alex
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Alex:

Are you in ass kissing biz? Just curious.

News media situation in the US is pathetic!
Friday, June 04, 2004

Perhaps he's receiving a pearl necklace from Waldo? <jk>

Wisea**
Friday, June 04, 2004

I'm just not the "inborn revolutionary" type.

(He who feels referenced, raise your hand.)

Alex
Friday, June 04, 2004

I just realized what happened to Joel:

The last article summary he wrote said:
"Take, for example, me."

And they did! They came an took away Joel from us!

Martin A. Boegelund
Friday, June 04, 2004

To me the 11.5 million isn't that much money.  It is a lot don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of folks walking around from the dot com days with that kind of cash.  They are keeping the Tahoe real estate market alive and well to this day.  I think the question, "I have 11.5 million, I am 35, can I retire?" isn't that nuts.   

I wouldn't doubt it if Joel does have 11.5 million the bank.  Look what was going on in the industry.  The MS options alone could have been worth that.  Add to that a couple other dot com gigs at the executive level and you've got the makings for retirement, or the ability to fund your own start-up company in NY. 

christopher baus (www.baus.net)
Friday, June 04, 2004

I thought bank interest in the US was around 4-5% a year?

Alex
Saturday, June 05, 2004

I think Joel blew his MS option when he quit and moved to NY.

I'm sure he said somewhere that it was the best $7 million he ever spent, as he met his boyfriend and all is rosy in Joel-land.

Steve Jones (UK)
Saturday, June 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home