Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Trade Shows

Just finished reading Mr. Sinks article on trade shows.  I've never been to a technical trade show, but I have been to several other varieties.

So anyway, what are some strategies people on this forum have the used to attract folks to their booth and once there how did you "sell" them on the product? (Besides having a booth babe ;-)

Anon
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Have a white board with handwritten comments on it.  We had one with bullet items on it at our last show and everyone (really, everyone) read them as they walked by.  It's like they were looking for remnants of some meeting with juicy tidbits in it or something.

Ryan Phelps
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

We tried little cakes one year - which had our logo in icing on each cake (must have taken the baker hours to do!). The problem was that we ate more of them ourselves then handed them out.

The same year the stand opposite us had a small band playing which was nice, and provided relief during low-traffic periods.

Last year one of our suppliers had a cocktail party on their stand (invitation only) after closing time which was fantastic.

However our best tactic is to simply ask "Hi, how are you enjoying the show?" to anyone that walked by and that proved the best way to pull people in. Almost everyone responds, and even if they have the slightest interest in your product they will stop and check it out.

PDF
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Required tradeshow prep reading:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/01/bofh_2004_episode_17/

i like i
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I went to the Microsoft CRM launch in Sydney a few months ago, and as part of that they had a CRM trade show with a bunch of different companies. One of these companies had a Pinball machine setup for free play at their stand, and the company next to them had a coffee machine (a real nice one) giving out free coffees. Of course I spent about 30 minutes at these stands playing pinball and drinking coffee, but I couldn't tell you what they were actually selling... so perhaps the moral is, if you are going to do something like this - make sur e you still tell people about your product!

Chris Ormerod
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I always thought "Booth Babes" were the standard thing.

KC
Thursday, June 03, 2004

T least with a booth babe it's obvious, just eyecandy that takes your card and give you the info pack/freebie thingy. The company screams: We're here but we're not.
Nowadays some companies are so cheap they send their most unqualified unwashed dev., force them into a tie, and he stands there scratching his crotch and getting pissed on free booze with a few of his compadres (that are supposed to be manning 4 other booths), harrasing a female employee nearby while expressing their selfassigned superiority over the show dwelling folk through copious oral and anal flatulence.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I have seldom seen gimmicks work at trade shows. Givaways, free food, car raffles, acrobats, dancing girls, elvis impersanators, etc just get general attention. If the attention is on the attraction but not on your company/product, what good is that?

What you need is a booth where it is clear what the company name is, what the product is, and helpful, atractive, outgoing people to talk to potential customers.

MilesArcher
Thursday, June 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home