Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Anyone here familiar with 1and1.com hosting?

Hello All,

I've been looking for a new hosting company lately. Does anyone here have any experience with 1and1.com's hosting? From the looks of things their "Windows Developer" package has everything that I could ask for (except maybe IMAP email) at a very reasonable price. I just thought that I'd see if anyone here has any input on them.

Thanks,

--Josh

JWA
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I use them.  I managed to get in on their deal of 3 free years of hosting.  I only registered one account, though I meant to get three.

Anyway, they are a little slow on reconfigurations.  If you make a change like adding a subdomain or adding an email account or creating one of their databases, it takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours.  Beyond that, they're fantastic.  I have not tried contacting their tech support for anything yet.

KC
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

KC, I think it was your post from an earlier question that added them to my list to check out - thanks.

Their control panel has options to add/modify/delete email accounts and subdomains. Are you saying that it takes time for these changes to take effect when you do them yourself through the control panel, or when you email them and ask for them to do it? Seems odd that there would be a delay when doing it through the CP, no?

--Josh

JWA
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Same here.  The Professional Preview package with 3 years free hosting is what I got.  It is a Linux package with PHP and MySQL.  I use it for my two domains, and it works great, though I'm only doing personal pages that are not intensive.  I've installed the WordPress blog software on their servers, and it works great. 

The only real issue I've had is that even though the FrontPage extensions are enabled, I can't upload from FrontPage any more unless I use ftp, though at one time I was able to.  It may be something in my configuration, so I can't say this is a problem with them for certain.

hobbit
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

A couple of my clients are hosted there. Seems pretty decent, fairly bog-standard cheapish linux-based web hosting. Not had any problems reliability wise and seems to let you do anything you'd reasonably want to (shell access, MySQL, flexible with .htaccess overrides)

The one thing that annoys me they seem to allocate really long impersonal numerical usernames for everything, which has caught me out trying to FTP or SSH from a box other than my home one with all the usernames on it. And the directory structure is a bit different to the usual, I think they're using some very customised setup, for the shared hosting anyway.

Matt
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Oops just saw you're interested in the windows package. Nevermind. Although I expect thats decent too.

Matt
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I also got the 3 years free thing with PHP/MySQL and it has been fine.  Only complaint would be that their control panel and webmail is always really slow loading.  At work, at home with cable modem, anywhere.  Its just slow.  Oh and also, their auto-assigned numbers for usernames is a little confusing.  Well, not confusing so much as just hard to remember.  If I lose the thing I wrote all the username's down on I'd be screwed.

Clay Whipkey
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I've used them to register a couple of domain names and they have been OK, but as said above, the control panel is very slow.

I have spoken to colleges who wouldn't tough them with a barge pole, although never said why.

For me, a good sign is the inclusion of a telephone number on the website.

Ian H.
Thursday, June 03, 2004

If you want to change at the end of your contract with them make sure you have the date when the current contract is due to expire to hand as they will charge you for another years hosting automatically and without warning. I found their technical support people very difficult to talk too also.

Fothy
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I have a dedicated Windows 2003 Web Edition server from them. Its really good, you access it via Remote Desktop and you can do what you want with it.
No complaints. Its always up!

Tim H
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I use their UK division (1and1.co.uk) and aside from configurations taking time to roll though, their service and support has been excellent.

I use Windows with Frontpage and it feels totally integrated.

PaulT
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Josh,

When you first create an email address, subdomain, database, etc, their control panel will tell you "this will be available in 3 hours".

Now, this is obviously necessary for some of the DNS issues, but for other stuff this seems a bit absurd.  In reality though, the change happens within a few minutes and everything works fine almost immediately.

I make a point of trying to do all of my configuration at once, then going and doing something else for 5-10 minutes, just in case.

KC
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I signed up for their 3 free years of hosting a few months ago, to host a simple webpage and for my email.  Once I figured out how to get DNS set up, I encountered a few problems.

First, one day my domain disappeared.  I went to the 1and1 control panel, and there was no evidence of any domains registered to me.  Since the free hosting doesn't have telephone support, and I couldn't do email without any domains there, I bit the bullet and set up my domains again, and re-uploaded my webpage.  The control panel looked a bit different after that, so I'm guessing maybe they upgraded their systems and forgot to transfer some accounts.  Who knows.

Second, one day my email accounts disappeared (but my domains and webpage were still working).  Weird.  So I recreated them in the control panel, and everything was good again.

Third, a week or so ago I couldn't send email.  Eventually I figured out that if I changed the authentication type in my email program's prefs, it worked.  (Though when my email program checks, it claims they still support the old kind of authentication.)

So, I have trouble every now and then.  Since I'm paying $0 for 3 years of hosting, for personal things that aren't "mission critical", I can't really complain.  If I was paying for it, I'd probably say it would depend on how the phone support was, since I'd anticipate using it every now and then.

(They couldn't be worse than my previous host, at least.  Even though I was paying for it, phone support was nonexistant: they never once answered their phones or returned voice mail left for them.)

Mostly happy 1and1 user
Thursday, June 03, 2004

Oh, yeah.  I only have POP3.  IMAP would be nice, but for $0, it's not a deal-breaker.  Though it might be in 2.5 years when I  decide whether to stay with them...  (Of course, if they don't improve in reliability, I'll probably switch, regardless.  I don't really want to stay with a host where I have to reconfigure things every 2 months.)

Mostly happy
Thursday, June 03, 2004

not too happy at the moment, just signed up with the uk based 1and1, and am unable to import my access database to the sql server, also the admin link and the web files link doesnt work on the control panel. i'll try out their phone support tomorrow, and post back.

michael campbell
Sunday, June 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home