Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Just a thought

During the .boom I was interviewed for a position at a company that used Zope. Where I come from, open-source is rare and Zope even more so.

This company was made up of luna/fanatics. All they could see and breath was Linux, Python and Perl. They were arrogant, the boss was prone to have anger fits in which he proceded to destroy his keyboard or anything else around him.
Their biggest customer was an ISP. They handled all the ISP's internal development and websites. Since there was a myth around saying that programmers were rare, the ISP put up with a lot of BS from this company. True brats nagging their neighbours for more candy.

Then came 2001 and IT didn't matter any more.

I parted way with the intervinients of this story, to find them again this year, in 2004. From what I heard the ISP simply cancelled the contract with this company. All their other clients ran away like they had lepper. One guy spent 1 1/2 year without a job. The big screaming boss became a college professor and the others scattered to the wind.

Now, you might all be asking, why am I writting this? I don't know. When I began there was a mora, a punchline, a logical ending. But after writing this, I got lost and I can't remember.

Well, it goes to show ya. Don't be nasty to the others when the tide is on your side, and when you write big texts, write the end first.

Cheese eating surrender monkey
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Zope appears to have been swallowed whole by Plone and then CA, this may or may not be a good thng.  Knowing and using Zope is just one of those strange idiosyncrasies I have.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Actually Zope is such an rare beast that I didn't bother to learn it when I had the chance. And the guys the OP was talking about sanked. They were using technology for technology's sake, not to solve problems.

RP
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Zope sounds incredibly cool in a way but every time I've convinced myself to learn it, I've ended up chickening out because it just seems way too complicated. Really I think I'd be quicker and better off writing my own Python-based web dev platform than trying to learn that thing well. But while that kind of attitude just leads to lots of reinvented wheels, I feel they could do a lot to simplify the overwhelming amount of crap surrounding Zope.

Matt
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Zope 3 will be much more like py2ee. But I've moved on.

fool for python
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

An old saying comes to mind: watch out whose toes you step on, because some day they may be attached to the ass that you have to kiss.

The tables certainly have turned. Today, business people make technologists feel rightfully ashamed of their knowledge of niche technologies. No techie has a right to self-esteem.

As it should be.

Bored Bystander
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Pretty tangential to the OP's message, but we've moved to zope/plone for website and associated online applications.  It was a pretty steep learning curve, but the view is great from up here.  After banging my head on JSP's and other assorted J2EE stupidity for a couple of years, zope is a breath of fresh air, and my toes don't curl up painfully when I realize I need to tweak a security config.

Chas Emerick
Thursday, June 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home