Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

which lint to pick?

Can anyone suggest a good "lint" program to use on MS-Win? Esp 2k and XP.

I found a couple by doing a google search. I keep coming across "PC-lint for C/C++" from Gimpel Software (http://www.gimpel.com/html/pcl.htm). I am not sure if it is any good. Anyone use this product? How about any other suggestions?

I am looking for something that is between $free and $1000 max. (per seat?)

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

entell
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I've used PC-Lint for many years. It is very good. (I have no affiliation blah, blah...)

Be aware if you start using lint you will have to make many decisions on what to have it report. You will initially be swamped with error you didn't know you had. To start you may want to disable some things, then turn them on as you clean up your code.

I believe it's worth it in the long run to have it flag as much as possible.

sgf
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Ditto on PC-Lint.  Good product.  But good luck getting your co-workers to use it.

-W4
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

"But good luck getting your co-workers to use it. "

True. Most frustrating part is not being able to use it when maintaining somebody else's file because its never been run on it...sigh.

I finally got my group leader to agree to add it to the nightly build to create some motivation to gradually clean up all the files. Now I have to work out the tools/scripts to do it...

sgf
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Thank you all for your feedback.

"But good luck getting your co-workers to use it. "

Luckily, I work with people with brains. It was a mutual agreement that we should use lint on our source code. It will save quite a bit of debugging time and money.

We actually tried a few free lint derivatives, but they choked on some proprietary headers of the embedded platform we are using. So we thought we'd get a decent one to see what happens.

entell
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Whilst it ain't lint, most compilers have selective levels of quality, e.g. gcc can be both pedantic and warn about everything (whereas the default is rather more lenient)

i like i
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I think Lint tool will help programmer to have higher efficiency, since the compile procedure will often take much more time than use a Lint tool to do the same job.

As far as I know, PC-Lint is good to use, since it could be integrated into code editor software such as SourceInsight.

Zhengdao
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home