Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

why has no one built.....

a waterproof laptop?

fastest.  fried computer. ever.

unbelievable, thousands of dollars worth of technology, harddrive containing 10's of thousands of dollars worth of source code now total value of approx 50c

1 single misplaced swing of the arm, total damage achieved within 2 secs from splash to meltdown.

bugger.

<g>....that reminds me, I really must get that automated backup process working...

FullNameRequired
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Wouldn't hard drives be waterproof? They are airtight.

Anywho these guys make waterproof laptops:
http://www.dolch.com/html/laptop.html

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

yeah, Im expecting to be able to recover the data from the harddrive without huge issues.  (touch wood).

but those waterproof items look interesting.

shame they dont run osx. ;(

first time in years I wish I was working with windows.

FullNameRequired
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

See also this page at the inquirer (Pictures at the bottom)
http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=16278

Husky are out of business now, but I seem to remember they did a demo of a tank running over the laptop.
http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/husky/

Peter Ibbotson
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I managed to pour some cola into a laptop once. It died right away. I brought it back to the store, and they sent it away to a repair shop and said they would get back to me with a price.
6 weeks later I call them up because I hadnt heard from them.  The price they gave exceeded the price of a new laptop so I said no thanks. They claimed every component was fried basicly.

I got the laptop back and decided to pick it apart just for fun. Salvage the HD and stuff. To make a long story short, after some experimentation I came to the conclusion that basicly only the keyboard and some stuff relating to the powersupply was fried. Screen, motherboard, memory, HD all worked.

Dont trust repair shops.

Eric Debois
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Hard drives breathe through filters, dumping one in water, apart from frying all the electronics, is not to be recommended.

I believe Grid used to do a waterproof computer.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

If the electronics of the harddrive is also fried there are companies that do data recovery on damaged harddrives. http://www.ibas.com/

MyNameIsSecret();
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Are you absolutely sure that the laptop is damaged?

I ask because I dumped a very large, very sugary glass of iced tea into a laptop.  I immediately unplugged it and removed the battery.  Once I got home, I opened the case and literally washed it out with steamig hot water, then gave it an alcohol bath (to get out the water).

Once the whole thing dried out, it worked perfectly fine.

Just a thought.

Caffeinated
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Once, many seasons ago, a friend of mine vomited into my Amiga 1200 (it had no cover, only keyboard - all the components and motherboard open). It still worked, but the smell was unbearable, so I took the whole thing into the shower and gave it a good bath.

After letting it dry for about 24 hours, I plugged it in, and it worked perfectly ever after.

A Dingo Ate My Baby
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

OK, you piqued my interest: How the HELL did your 'friend' manage to puke on your Amiga 1200?

one meeeellion dollars!
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

A couple weeks ago, a coworker *drove* over her laptop in her minivan.  The display was shot, but amazingly enough it still works when plugged into a docking station.  She claims it was an accident, but I think she just wants a new laptop.

madking
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Aren't Panasonic Toughbooks waterproof? They sure look like they are. A lot of trades use them, for example the insurance claims adjuster who checked out the hail damage on my car last week had one.

JWA
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

"Aren't Panasonic Toughbooks waterproof?"

Not sure if they are waterproof, but they are certainly tough. One of my clients uses them for their "not so technical" field staff and those suckers are built like tanks. I've seen them dropped, kicked and smashed and they keep on ticking...

Mark Hoffman
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

> She claims it was an accident, but I think she just wants a new laptop.

You wouldn't believe it, but I've heard this happens all the time...

Frederik Slijkerman
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Umm I actually did drive over my then laptop in my then 4x4, the plastics cracked but it still worked.  Its now spending its retirement as my mail server and linux dogsbody.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

waterproof = airtight = difficult to cool

so cost is probably the primary reason.

Richard P
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

In its lifetime, my ThinkPad T20 has survived two glasses of misguided wine. While I'm always tempted by the Toughbooks (not only are they hardy, but they're gorgeous too), I'm impressed by the pure stubbornness of the thing. Of course, I've never dropped it in the bath or anything, so you might just be fucked.

Thom Lawrence
Thursday, June 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home