Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Image library s/w

Hi esteemed developers

I'm doing some work with Amnesty International in NZ, and they've identified a need for some sort of image management software. They currently have about 1200 images, and are adding to them at a great rate. They want to be able to locate an imaage based on metadata added at the time the imaage is loaded into the library: location, description, keywords, category, etc.

Being a not-for-profit organisation, they want something very cost-effective. Being in two main locattions, they would like something that people in either location can add images and search.

The question: can any of you recommend something suitable? preferably open source (a philosophical requirement, that...)

Thanks

Nic C-L
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

There are plenty of "gallery" style opensource web applications that may or may not fit your criteria. It depends on how specific you are about that meta data I guess.

Go to sourceforge and search for "PHP image gallery" and you will find stuff like this one:
http://linpha.sourceforge.net/nuke/index.php ( look here for demo: http://linpha.sourceforge.net/demo/linpha/sec_stage_album.php?albid=Ng== )

If you find something that is close but not quite there, consider sending a request to the project leader. They may well make a custom version for you, since you are a non profit org and all.

Eric Debois
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Well, I don't know about open source, but our imaging department is testing a product called ThumbsPlus. I don't know whether it does the job, but the imaging department has to deal with way more than 1200 images. They've been collecting photos for over a decade at an ever increasing rate. They started with a few hundred a year and I think they're collecting a few hundred a month now.

Ron Porter
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I love ThumbsPlus - I've been using it for almost ten years.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

"The question: can any of you recommend something suitable? preferably open source (a philosophical requirement, that...)"

Out of curiosity - their philosophy, or yours?

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

hey nic, where in New Zealand are you from?

FullNameRequired
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Philo: Both. I'm probably more fervent about it than the majority of AINZ staffers, but there's a definite feeling within AI (and not just NZ) that Open Source software is ideally suited to an organisation such as AI.

FullNameRequired: Wellington. Any particular reason you ask?

Nic C-L
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

"there's a definite feeling within AI (and not just NZ) that Open Source software is ideally suited to an organisation such as AI."

Why? (<- serious question, not trolling)

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Well its to not encourage all those sweatshop software mills where children as young as 7 have to write iterative functions without the benefit of Nikes.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

LOL ... oh that is too funny. The other day I saw an article about the untouchables in India. In 2004. As a kid we used to always joke about the untouchables and apparently they still exist and are discriminated against. I was thinking this could be used by some out of work programmers who blame India and outsourcing on their plight. They could demand an end to this apartheid and demand that companies don't do business with India until untouchables have programming jobs too.

me
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Oh, another comment. I too find the "open source" and philosophical combo kind of odd. Other things being equal you'd be a fool imho to not buy the open source version. Open source does not mean it's free. But if someone has a version which you are not allowed to read/modify and it works better than anything else and is priced accordingly ... why not go with it? Personally I wish people would start charging for more of this software so I'd be more comfortable that it will be there tomorrow and it will be better. They just need to find the right price. Sun wanted over US$50.00 for their weak version of SUSE and that wasn't worth anything. I'm currently using MEPIS which I paid about US$10.00 for and it works great and I'd be happy to pay something around US$30.00 a year to keep that guy going but that guy has to determine what he wants and I have to determine what I'll pay. It irks me to no end that people seem to equate open source with free and seem to think that all software should be free.

me
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

me,

1. The plight of poor people in India is a serious problem, and a great many people besides programmers wish to help them. That is why the previous government was kicked out in the recent elections.

> I'd be happy to pay something around US$30.00 a year to keep that guy going ...

2. That's very generous of you. Maybe the guy would charge what he wants so he can get an income similar to yours.

Real me
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home