Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Norah Jones

Who are the idiots that make the player that comes with the Norah Jones CDs? I mean, that is probably the uglies and most badly written thing I've seen in my entire life. It crashes for no apparent reason, when you remove a cd with the thing still playing it send you "Abort, Retry, Fail" dialogs for each and every song on the CD and did I mention it's UI is probably the ugliest thing I've seen after my aunt Zelda?

GAWD!

RP
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Well, that's the danger of outsourcing. But I bet they saved a ton of money!

Rob
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I had this crazy idea that I'd play it with my regular player, which says Panasonic on the front and doesn't involve my computer at all.  Works like a charm.

Clay Dowling
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

You're a genius, Clay, a genuine genius!

Full name:
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Well, I can't afford a player so I use my computer.

So, how do I get around that damn player?

RP
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

So, the nature of the problem is that ... you can't hear Norah Jones sing?

How is this a problem, exactly?

Alyosha`
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

You could probably hold down shift and stop the auto-play.  Be careful, you might be sued under the DMCA.

Then import it into iTunes and ignore that there ever was a player.  Thats what I did (though being on a mac, I didn't have to worry about that player).

Andrew Hurst
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Is the problem that you can't play the CD without using the player software the publisher provides (i.e. you cannot just slot it into your computer and listen to it like any regular CD)?

If so, don't buy the CD in the first place.

It amazes me how the market rolls over and plays dead to the unreasonable tactics of big business.

If nobody bought a copy-protected CD, ever, there would never be any copy-protected CDs to worry about.

Seems simple; but by and large consumers cannot be relied upon to take the logical action.

Ian
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

>probably the uglies and most badly written thing I've seen in my entire life

Well, suits the music then!

</indie snob>

Matt
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Anyone who buys DRM-laden crap gets what they deserve.

Chen-li Fan
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Rip the audio with cdrwin/nero and ignore the bundled player?

Anon
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I can't rip the cd because it's copy protected.
When I try to open the cd, it shows up at empty.
I bought the cd because I like Norah Jones. Listening to her makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside, which is necessary to my anger management classes, that just had it's effect destroyed by this DUMBASSIDIOTIC impersonation of a player.

RP
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Hey buddy, you CAN rip it.  As was mentioned earlier, bypass the autoplay by holding down SHIFT for...about 30 seconds after you put the disc in.  As long as it doesn't autorun, you'll be fine.

pds
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

My wife bought me the latest Bob Dylan box set (yes, I'm a fan, and no he doesn't sing, he kinda whines).

And it doesn't rip, but it plays fine in consumer CD players.  I'm sure there is a hack out there somewhere to let me rip it.  One idea is to play the CD in a player that supports digital output and then feed that into a ripper.  Then you gotta cut it and tag it yourself (not too bad perhaps).

Anyhoo...

hoser
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

RP: A portable CD player can be had for $20 on Amazon. Of course, you probably want to spend a little more to get a better quality unit.

dssdf
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Return it to the store. It's a defective CD.

MilesArcher
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I agree with Ian.

Never buy a copy-protected CD.  Ever.

Ricardo Antunes da Costa
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Like it has been stated, its autorun that is the culprit. It launces a process which hogs the CD drive. Either, bypass the autorun or, terminate the process' it starts and youll get your drive back.

Eric Debois
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I hit a similar problem with a different CD, so I downloaded it with Kazaa.  Ironic, eh?

r1ch
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Return it to the store.

Would you have bought it if it said "Copy-Protected!" on the packaging?  No?  Then what they sold you isn't what you were paying for, so take it back.

If you don't, it'll only get worse.

Kyralessa
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Actually those CD's legally aren't even CD's. Philips does not allow the use of the Compact Disk logo on those disks.

I have been bitten a few times too. You can rip them but it is more complex. Typical case of the honest paying customers suffering from protection measures that won't stop the bad guys at all. I have stopped buying them all together.

Jan Derk
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

"Felt Tip Marker Defeats Copy-Protected CDs"
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/22/1439253&mode=thread&tid=99

l33t h4x0r
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I would go the ripping way too. Besides, you paid for the CD which makes it yours. As long as you use one copy (the ripped one), you are not doing anything illegal. If FBI knocks on your door, you can kindly show them that you did not copy the CD off the internet, but had to get around the idiotic problem the CD company presented. If you made the purchase with a credit card, you can keep the receipt, too to prove that you did buy a copy made a copy of it for technical reasons (and then perhaps even destroyed the original).

So, relax RP. This kinda stuff is no reason to grow cancer cells in your body.  :)

grunt
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

The Bob Dylan boxset doesn't rip because they're SACDs, not regular redbook CDs, I believe. They have a layer that's compatible with regular CD players, but many computer CDROMs have issues with SACDs.

A PS2 Programmer
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Bob Dylan? Is he still around?

Jason
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Alive and well and living with Jim Morrison

John Murray
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I heard Jimmy Hoffa was their neighbour

RP
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics