Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Now *this* would be a neat email service...

Something like a cross between GMail and usenet - not only does it insert targeted ads, it makes introductions - "Hey, you're looking for a late 70's Chevy? This guy's selling one [link]"

Of course, you'd need some finer control so someone else doesn't get
"Hey, you're into bondage? This guy always writes about beaing beaten up and whipped at work..."

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

If you build it, they will come, Philo.  ;)

Norrick
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Philo, are we getting a glimpse into something from the beast?

Hank
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

*Yawn*

J
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Yeah, 'cause they make sure to share the really cool ideas with me. I mean, just last week BillG said "Steve, you know what I'm thinking?" and Steve said "That all scottish food sounds like it was invented on a bet?"
BillG sighed and said "No, I was thinking that we should run this plan past Philo..."

Philo
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Way to represent, Philo!

Mofo Fofo
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

BillG sighed and said "No, I was thinking that we should run this plan past Philo..." Steve went quiet, not in a relaxed way, but like he was holding something back. BillG noticed Steve's face trying to surpress what? A smirk? A smile? ... "What?" BillG asked in a demanding voice.
Steve couldn't hold it any longer. Tears were now streaming down his reddned face. "Yeah", he went, "but I thought we might just wait till he was having A GREAT DAY!" BillG regretted having just sipped from his Coke, as the brown liquid was now spraying at high velosity out of both his nostrils ...

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!

Dennis Forbes
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Oooh-oooh-oooh-aaah-aaah.

Norrick
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Uh, was that a bowel movement, Norrick?!

Wisea**
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

LOL.  No, it was supposed to be monkey noises.

I suck at onomatopoeia.  :P

Norrick
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Wow, that's amazing Philo -- heck, you only hired on a couple months ago.  You must be really something for Bill and Steve to already be talking to you like that.

As for me, I stopped dropping names like this after that incident where Bush I threw up at dinner in Japan... although to be fair that's also about the time he stopped calling me up for advice....

Should be working
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Actually, everyone that works at Microsoft speaks as though the know "Bill and Steve" on a first name basis.  So it isn't so out of the ordinary.

hoser
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Philo,

There was an article in one of the major news outlets just last week about some of the technologies/companies being funded by the CIA's VC arm. Most of them had to do with data, and one in particular was exactly what you outlined.

It worked to find potential links between CIA operatives based on their experiences, missions, etc. So, if one guy in Minnesota (do they have CIA guys in MN?) writes something in his notes that may be of interest to another guy in working in Kazakhstan, the system notices the possible link and let's them both know about it.

A little digging on Google News would bring i up, I think the headline was something to the effect of "CIA's spy toys even better than James Bond's).

--Josh

JWA
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Philo, can you whip up a prototype for us in Sharepoint ?

Damian
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Ya know, somehow I doubt that most of you here giving Philo a hard time would be so quick to do so in his actual 6'4'', 250 lb. presence. :-P

The Waterboy
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Philo,
i wouldn't use that service, it would be too spooky.
it would feel as if somebody is reading your letters (1984 anybody?)

Michael Moser
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

INGSOC
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Philo, Just me (Sir to you),

great, I've just literally choked in laughter reading your posts...

Vlad Gudim
Thursday, June 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home