Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good email services

I use a mail service that sucks the big one. It does. Completely. There's nothing worst than the way they treat their customers.

But they have two things that keep me hooked up to them: they allow me to download mail through pop3 and they have a 10MB storage capacity, which is nothing to sneeze at.

After having my mail account closed for 3 days "for technical reasons" I decided I need a new mail service. Besides buying my own domain name, do you know of any free mail service that allows me to download my mail via pop3?

RP
Monday, May 31, 2004

Honestly, unless you're flat broke, just register your own domain name and get an inexpensive hosting account. Many ISPs provide multiple POP3 boxes with a single hosting account, so you could even split the costs with a friend or two.

IMO, any service that offers free POP3 accounts is either going to suck or is going to disappear, because there's no way for them to recoup the price of offering the service (through advertising, etc.) And when you realize either that they suck or that they've disappeared, you'll just have to change your e-mail address again.

A few years ago, when you couldn't get hosting for much less than $25/mo and a domain would cost $50/year, I could understand not wanting to pony up the dough, but it's so inexpensive now. Give it some thought.

marty
Monday, May 31, 2004

I use softhome.net.  I don't know what the size limit is on the account, but it does allow you to download mail through pop3.

just sooper
Monday, May 31, 2004

When did POP3 become rare? I've never used anything but POP to download mail. In any case, I've been quite pleased with the host GoDaddy uses, which I think is secureserver.net. You may have better luck with them if your ISP is that flaky.

Mike Swieton
Monday, May 31, 2004

Doesn't yout ISP give you a POP3 account? If you change ISP all the time, then get a domain name, but  as you can receive mail through POP3 with no trouble from another ISP (sending trhough SMPT has unfortunately been stopped because of fear of open relays), then if you get a cheapish ISP you can always pay the extra three months when you change over and run both accounts until everybody knows.

Stephen Jones
Monday, May 31, 2004

They don't advertise it, but you can access yahoo mail accounts through Pop3.  I'm not certain what their limit is, but I know that they have a larger fee-based option as well.

JWA
Monday, May 31, 2004

The problem with using yahoo for POP3 is that you have to accept ads from them as well.

Stephen Jones
Monday, May 31, 2004

The best solution was mentioned above...  use your ISP's email account and purchase a domain.  A number of registrars provide DNS and email forwarding services.  Just buy the domain and set everything @yourdomain.com to redirect to myaccount@myisp.com.

If you change ISP's just change the forwarding.  Pretty simple.

Almost Anonymous
Monday, May 31, 2004

Just to clear things up, this is not a problem with my ISP, it's a free web based mail serviced that decided to also give POP3 access to the user accounts. The problem is the overall service which is so bad, it's almost scary.

RP
Monday, May 31, 2004

Is it myrealbox.com? It sounds kind of like it.

Myrealbox is really pretty good for free POP based email. Main issues are somewhat frequent outages, and their spam filtering is so stringent that many hosts can't send to it.

Bored Bystander
Monday, May 31, 2004

RP, I believe everyone is telling you to ditch the web based POP3 mail provider and use your ISP for email.

Almost Anonymous
Monday, May 31, 2004

I use FuseMail and I really love it, for two reasons: it can suck e-mail out of other services and consolidate into a single place, and it's IMAP.

POP3 is so 1990s. :-p

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, May 31, 2004

Try www.gawab.com

Koos
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I really like the services provided by http://www.cotse.net  It works great and is very reliable.

Martin Schultz
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Get an ancient box, put BSD or Linux on it and then install postfix, get your domain and point your mail server at it port mapping at the firewall/router smtp.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I thought about that one before, but I really don't want to admin a box. I'd rather have a server somewhere else.

I think I'm going to buy a domain, rent some server space and get on with my life. It shouldn't be too expensive per anum.
Of course now this beggets another question: know of any good/cheap hosting services? I'm looking for several mail/shell accounts, no need to put up any database driven websites.

RP
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Most universities give their alumni free, lifetime forwarding addresses.  Use one of those, and then you're not tied down to any given e-mail provider.

Of course, the forwarding address has its own problems.  A few weeks ago, I lost about two day's worth of e-mail messages over a weekend, because the messages weren't being forwarded, and nobody fixed the problem until Monday (and there weren't any bounce-back messages to alert senders that there was a problem).

J. D. Trollinger
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I also use fusemail and it rocks. I have a ton of disk space (500mb) and it will collect mail from an unlimited amount of pop accounts and put it into an IMAP account. This is very very useful when you have lots of accounts and also since IMAP keeps mail on the server you don't have to worry about what PC you're on. Additionally it has some groupware functionality (calendar, contacts, journal,etc) all for about $5 a month which IMO is a good deal. You can access it via webmail or via a IMAP compliant client (Outlook if you want to use groupware).

Regards
Josh

Josh
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

http://fastmail.fm

Guest accounts are free and offer 10 MB mail storage, IMAP, no POP though.

If you really need POP instead of IMAP, you'll have to pay for a full account ($19.95 per year or $34.95 per 2 years) which also offers 50MB of mail storage (or more, if you pay for it).

All accounts have web mail too (the best I've seen).

vrt3
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

If your willing to pay a few bucks, I second the fastmail choice.  Fastmail offers all the usual mail functionality, plus:

- Sieve scripting (language for filtering incoming email)
- spam assassin spam filtering
- Subdomain addressing (ex joe@justemail.net, amazon@joe.justemail.net, and anytexthere@joe.justemail.net all map to the same inbox)
- multiple aliases (own several email address that map to the same inbox - ex joe@justemail.net, joesmith@sent.com)
- pop3 and imap access
- Lots of domain names (if you don't like fastmail.fm)
- Customizable look and feel
- File storage with public accessibility

josReader
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Seconding both FuseMail and Fastmail. Fastmail has a far superior web UI-it's a real joy to use when I don't have access to a desktop client. But FuseMail's storage deal is far nicer, and I've pretty much converted to using Opera's M2 as my primary email client, which plays well with IMAP and removes all the drudgery out of managing email, as well as serving as a perfectly adequate Usenet and RSS reader (although no OPML import/export for RSS yet).
You can get 100 mb account with unlimited aliases as cheaply as $15/year, although like Josh I prefer the 500 mb plan for $60/year. Both services have really excellent support, with questions asked in their boards often answered by employees/owners pretty fast. Fastmail is a much more polished and superior service in a lot of ways, but if having a giant chunk of web-based space to keep all your email in for cheap without having to worry much about deleting stuff is more important to you, go with FuseMail. Fastmail and lots of others also have the "fusing" feature, they'll suck down any POP3, Yahoo! Mail or Hotmail account's mail for you, so don't go with FuseMail just based on fusing accounts, it's not exactly a unique service.
I can't wait to get a GMail account. But maybe you can!

I believe I can fry
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Actually I do have a GMail account. But I don't really have any use for it. I can't download mail to my Outlook client, it can't suck messages from my other accounts and since it's still beta I don't know where it's going.

RP
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home