Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Advisory board for government S/W prod.dev.

I have been developing software for state agencies for a couple of years as a consultant. I'd like to start building a product based on the experience I've gained, but I also would like to get input from some current and potential customers. As my users are all state employees, I cannot pay them for their time and opinions; there's also a limit to how much I can pester them for free. I thought about offering a discount in return for a commitment to provide input, but I don't know if most states have mechanisms to work out such a contract.

Has anyone had a similar experience? How did you get customer input from government users?

Thanks in advance.

OneManShop
Sunday, May 30, 2004

Partner with the agencies that might want to implement such a beast, offer them a X% discount for helping with the requirements/user-acceptance testing...

GiorgioG
Sunday, May 30, 2004

Most people in those organisations are happy to discuss their requirements with serious software developers. You shouldn't offer payment, as it might be seen by them as giving you some expectations and control over them. In any case, state employees can't go and sell their time just like that.

Sunday, May 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home