Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

internship->job offer?

Hi folks,

I'm going to be doing a summer IT internship at one of the major investment banks in NYC, and was wondering: how often do those kinds organizations extend full-time job offers to interns? What can I do to maximize my chances of obtaining such an offer?

marty
Sunday, May 30, 2004

Your chances of being hired are very good, if you do your part.

They'll probably have the usual set of code/build/test standards; follow them to the letter. I've seen interns who think they're such great programmers that they should be allowed to do things their own way; needless to say, they don't get hired.

If you have some time when there's nothing for you to do, pester your boss for an assignment; don't even think of sitting at the computer playing solitare or reading JOS forums.

Be as friendly and outgoing as you can without being a pain, you'll want people to remember you as someone nice to have around.

Tom H
Sunday, May 30, 2004

>>What can I do to maximize my chances of obtaining such an offer?

Are you programming trading systems there or are you part of IT? If you are doing trading systems, master C++ multithreading, learn a messaging "middleware", and learn the business. If you are part of IT, then it's the same job at any large firm.

Tom Vu
Sunday, May 30, 2004

As long as the economy doesn't take a turn for the worse, you generally have to really be a screw-off to not get an offer.  That's why most of these internshipts are paid at about the same rate as a new entry-level hire.

Generally they will have a project or two in mind for you to work on.  It won't be something super interesting unless you're really lucky, but pretty much do a good job on that and you're an automatic hire.

Steve Monk
Sunday, May 30, 2004

"What can I do to maximize my chances of obtaining such an offer?"

Don't screw up.  Most of our interns get a job offer, assuming the following things:

- They actually add VALUE to the company.  They're not just sucking the life out of the more experienced guys.  Obviously, they ask questions, but they have to actually ACCOMPLISH something.  You'd be amazed at how many people screw that up.

- They're compatible with our culture.  We're a small company.  A lot of interns we interveiw expect us to do things that big companies do, like fly them out to their location, pay for housing, etc.  We do what we can, but there are limits.  Some candidates don't understand the benefits of working for a company that isn't run like a Dilbert cartoon.

- They prove that they are as smart as they look.  Some people interview really well, but turn out to be morons once they start working for you.

- They express a desire to work there.  Many interns look at their position as a way fill in the summer months, with no intention of staying.

- They show some fexibility.  Interns usually get pulled from project to project, depending on where they can be used best.  Some poeple can't handle that.  They want to sit at their desk and be spoonfed.

Myron A. Semack
Sunday, May 30, 2004

Make sure you express interest to someone in staying.  In many companies (including mine) the HR is pretty incompetent and they will actually forget about you.

Make sure your boss and whatever HR people both know that you want to stay.

Roose
Monday, May 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home