Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What's a CIO?

What's a CIO?
Is he someone who began as a programmer, then a project manager, then a CIO or is he someone who began his life on a management role in any other industry and through luck or the accumulation of the right experiences ended up being a CIO?

RP
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

The people who take up technical CxO jobs -- like CIO and CTO -- could either be technical, managerial, or both. It really depends on what the definition of the job is within the specific organization.

For example, I'd expect a CTO at a software ISV to be someone who either is or was an active developer and/or software architect, who now sets the general technical direction for development activities.

In a non-software company, I might expect a CTO or CIO to be someone who primarily a manager of the technical operations required to keep the company running (i.e., the IT department ultimately reports to them). They may or may not be setting the actual technical direction for IT (i.e., Windows vs. Linux, etc.).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

For the company I currently work with, the VP-IT and VP-MIS report to the CIO, project managers report to the VPs, and developer teams report to the project managers.

YMMV of course.

NameWithheldOutOfBravery
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

A layer of useless management.

son of parnas
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Completely Ignorant Oaf

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Person who answers email all day long?

Sassy
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Bane of JoS readers existance.

Anon-y-mous Cow-ard
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

You'll often find that the post is simply given to the only manager who shows any interest in computers, or to the training manager or somebody non-essential who they think can spare the time.

And if the company grows, then he grows with it.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

CIO == Career Is Over

Ken Ray
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

They're usually accountants these days. Accountants basically stole this role from MIS professionals while the MIS professionals were busy.

Now they're sacking all the experienced MIS people and sending their jobs to India.

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home