Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Amiga Revival - OS4 ?

I've heard that there's a planned come back
for the old Amiga platform with a new OS called OS4 and PPC cards ?

Does anyone has more information?

10 years ago I heard ESCOM was planning to release a new Amiga

FanBoy
Thursday, May 06, 2004

It pops up on slashdot now and again. But I really can't see how Amiga coud be revived now, all it's original unique features are now present in Windows and Linux.

Having said that Amiga did have some cool stuff, like windows with different resolutions on the same screen at the same time.

Matthew Lock
Thursday, May 06, 2004

The Amiga was truely a nice piece of hardware ...

Blitter, Copper, Agnus... Those were the days when Chipsets name were still sweet ...

FanBoy
Thursday, May 06, 2004

Fanboy - please review your history.

Paula, Denise, Agnus (post A1000 Fat Agnus)
Buster came in at the A3000 level.
(AA names left for those who hadn't had to leave for paying markets by the time they came out.)

Amiga is dead - if something with that name was released today it would be just a marketing label (and would have been since before C= died a very deserved death.) 

But look around you in the market and you can see a lot of little bits of Jay Minor's creation peeking out from all over the place.

Unfocused Focused
Thursday, May 06, 2004

As mentioned, sitings of ghosts occur on Slashdot every now and then, and Amiga has been a regular visitor (it's amazing how many Amiga users went from the Amiga, to OS/2, to Linux. It's like it's the chosen path for them). One of the recent rumors was that there was going to be a "Amiga-esque" OS built around QNX (a rock-rock-rock solid minimalist operating system). It is too bad that there isn't more diversity in the computing industry - it was pretty neat in the latter half of the 80s.

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, May 06, 2004

I owned, and used/programmed an Amiga from 1991-2001. I was happy with it. Then I switched to Windows, and never looked back.

Latest Amiga OS news:

http://www.osnews.com/topic.php?icon=12

http://www.ann.lu

Darris
Friday, May 07, 2004

"windows with different resolutions on the same screen at the same time"

I think that Longhorn can do that too, although it is a *long* time after the Amiga.

I remember the Amiga when it first came out here in the UK. It was just unbelievable, some of those features, especially in the big-box versions were just out of this world.

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, May 07, 2004

In 1990 I added a sound sampler and a midi interface to my Amiga, then I could play and sequence samples from my keyboard in real time - cool for techno and so on.

This wasn't really practical due to latency delays on the PC until about 1999 with p500s or so. Yet the Amiga I had was 8Mhz.

Matthew Lock
Friday, May 07, 2004

7.14 Mhz - the processor speed was always a multiple of that in the early days.
I remember that magic number becuase it was a multiple of the NTSC video signal and made it possible for all the video work the Amiga was known for.

Unfocused Focused
Saturday, May 08, 2004

I was using it in the UK and Australia where it was PAL so the clock speed was slightly higher - I think, maybe it was lower come to think of it.

Matthew Lock
Saturday, May 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home