Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Benifit of lenux over unix in J2EE

I am looking for the best combination for the purpose of J2EE implementation . I am aware that both are nicely  tuned up with J2EE but which one is the best choice ?
people talk more about lenux as it is free copy but looking for specific answr .

What specific things I  can achieve with Lenux that i can never expect fron Unix ????

Hemang Joshi
Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Unix / Linux same thing

Luke
Thursday, April 29, 2004

Linux Is Not Unix

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:HGCVLSFs8jIJ:kernelbook.sourceforge.net/pdf/ch-intro.pdf+%22linux+is+not+unix%22&hl=en

Tapiwa
Thursday, April 29, 2004

It really depends on the J2EE container you want to use, the Linux distrobution, the hardware you want to use, or the flavor of Unix.  There really aren't any significant benefits of any one thing over the other.  If you want to use a commercial J2EE container and use Linux then Red Hat is almost the required distrobution now days.
For me it is Sun hardware, Sun OS, and Sun container.  It isn't really any better (or worse) than the alternatives, just one stop shopping. 

Bill Rushmore
Thursday, April 29, 2004

Linux Is Not Unix

no, not technically, but practically.  The commands are 99.9% the same.  It works similarly. 

RMS
Thursday, April 29, 2004

My understanding (from reading, not experience) is that for versions of Linux without posix threads that J2ee would run fine for low volume applications but just wouldn't scale as well as on many comercial unix systems.  It had to do both with the Java model of a thread per connection and the Linux model of a porcess per thread with a maximum number of threads baked into the compile of the kernel.

This has changed a bit recently.  Red Hat's latest has dealt with this a bit and it is probably only a matter of time before J2EE app servers start taking advantage of the nio package so all this is in flux.

Shouldn't matter though.  One of the points of J2EE is you can develop on Linux and deploy on Unix or vice versa.

name withheld out of cowardice
Thursday, April 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home