Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

April fools

Here's the only one I've seen so far.

http://www.sswug.org/columnists/editorial.asp?id=357

Anyone else?

Big B
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Well there is Google mail which I saw on Fox this morning.  1 Gig per user!

And there is the destined to be classic 'Cross and Lopez' Morning show.  Fun without the filth.

K
Thursday, April 01, 2004

<Well there is Google mail which I saw on Fox this morning.  1 Gig per user!

Thats not a hoax. its true

K
Thursday, April 01, 2004

I signed up for the Google mail (or at least to be notified of it in the future).  I think its a hoax, was expecting to get an "April Fool's - you're an idiot" email for signing up, but haven't.... so far.

An article I read says Google thinks a gigabyte "costs two dollars operationally" so it almost sounds plausible.

Other than that www.thinkgeek.com is running all April Fools items on their homepage.  Being overweight I was particularly drawn to the RF controlled capsule that you swallow and then inflate in your stomach to supress hunger.  Then I guess later you fish it out of bowl, clean it and repeat.  Ewww.  The more I think about it, the happier I am its a joke.

Ken Klose
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Excuse me, but what's with the whole "April Fools" thing? It was a funny concept in the second grade, but then it got stale.

Ron
Thursday, April 01, 2004

No, it can still be fun.  It just depends on the originality and sense of whimsy posessed by the participants.

name withheld out of cowardice
Thursday, April 01, 2004

whitehouse.org (political satire site, not to be confused with .com or .gov) now redirects to a cybercrime website.

Alyosha`
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Children travel free with Ryanair online books
http://www.ryanair.com/

MugsGame
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Ron, don't grow up!

son of parnas
Thursday, April 01, 2004

fool.com has a few articles...

Thursday, April 01, 2004

eff.org has a good one too...

Michael Kale
Thursday, April 01, 2004

This is either an april fool's joke or Microsoft are making a very large strategic change of direction:

http://blogs.msdn.com/LarryOsterman/archive/2004/04/01/105778.aspx

John C
Thursday, April 01, 2004

I love hearing about clever april fools jokes, (And no, highschool antics such as vegemite on the toilet seat, and clingwrap over the toilet bowl etc don't count).

I loved a few years ago when a radio announcer said that a particularly aquarium was having leaking problems, and sent a call out for anyone with a spare fish tank....

The next day (or that afternoon) the aquarium owner got on the air, he said he had had people with fish tanks coming down all day. He gave them all free passes into the aquarium and had a good laugh.

Then there is the whole 'the olympics has been called off gag'.

I love them.

Aussie Chick
Thursday, April 01, 2004

I think the best one I ever heard was in 1973 or 1974. Canada was still struggling through various aspects of moving to the metric system and people were just generally grumpy about the whole thing. You were either in favour of it and thought it was taking too long or you were against it and thought it was happening too fast.

Anyway, one of the local radio stations had fake news stories surrounding the next move: Larmenkaller (sp?) time. 1 day = 10 hours; 1 hour = 100 minutes; 1 minute = 100 seconds (or something to that effect). They were even reporting their regular 'time spots' in both times. Well before noon, they had to call it quits--the whole phone system was collapsing under the weight of angry callers to the station, to government lines, to whoever they thought they could yell at.

Ron Porter
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Best one I have seen today  is here http://www.ibiblio.org/  Heading is Duke University now owns the whole of the public domain.

A Software Build Guy
Thursday, April 01, 2004

It doesn't seem to be up anymore but at lunch  http://www.goproblems.com had a notice on their index page saying that they had "seen the light" and was switching over to parcheesi or something like that.

I nearly cried before I remembered what day it was.

double_dark
Thursday, April 01, 2004

On the Google splash page:
http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html

Ethan Herdrick
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Is there anything on Slashdot that's not an April Fools joke?

Capybara
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Actually, the "Dating Design Patterns" book review is real.  Either that, or Amazon.com is in on the scam.

Phillip J. Eby
Thursday, April 01, 2004

>Well before noon, they had to call it quits--the whole phone system was collapsing under the weight of angry callers to the station, to government lines, to whoever they thought they could yell at

Oh that is a classic, very very cool.

Aussie Chick
Thursday, April 01, 2004

best Ive heard of was here in new zealand.
The town council was going to cut down some trees that lined a road, surprisingly enough some of the locals objected to this.
One chap in particular was enraged, to the point where he protested vigorously, tied himself to trees and generally made himself to be a pain in the ass.
The happened to be a professor at a local university.

1 week before april fools the local council finally backed down in the face of growing opposition.

On april fools day, a number of his students dressed up in overalls, climbed some of the trees outside his house, and started chainsaws....they even brought tree branches to drop to the ground from time to time :)

the professor in question roared out of his house in a wonderfully self-righteous rage and the rest Ill leave to your imagination :)

FullNameRequired
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Our local zoo doesn't answer phones on april 1st anymore, because a classic gag is to leave notes to fellow workers desks saying "mr. Elk called while you were out - please call him back at 555-1234", where the number of course is that of the zoo.

"Hello, can I speak to mr. Elk please"... ;-)

Antti Kurenniemi
Friday, April 02, 2004

BMW.

BMW UK always have a great gag. The best one I can remember was the one about spotting fake/imported BMWs because the badge colours were the wrong way round. They helpfully provided a comparison with the authentic one, so that worried owners could tell if theirs was fake (the photos were swapped, natch).

It's usually done as a full page ad in The Times and yesterdays was no exception - an advert for new SHEF technology, which allows you via satellite to control your oven from the car.

Theres a news story here:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_908920.html?menu=news.quirkies, which has a link to the BMW product website. Mildly amusing but lacking the punch of a full page colour newspaper ad. The ad included a shot of the dashboard with an 'oven cam'.

Justin
Friday, April 02, 2004

sorry, there's a comma on the end of that link.

Justin
Friday, April 02, 2004

My favorite April fools was back in high school (1990?) when the local (Los Angeles) alternative rock station KROQ resurected the defunct heavy metal Pirate Radio station for the day; complete with the original DJ and the original first song (Welcome to the Jungle). 

That took effort, creativity and some $$.  Today's jokesters can type any dumb idea and post it as an article and that is supposed to qualify as a April fools joke?

Jason Watts
Friday, April 02, 2004

BBC Radio 4 had a good one, oh, about five years ago. They announced that the EU was going to ban national anthems or something like that. I remember thinking "WHAT?!? HOW DARE THEY!" and then going, "Hey, wait a minute..."

Friday, April 02, 2004

The best and worst April Fools jokes I can remember happened when I was in the second year in Grammar School in 1965. The prefects decided to organze everything, and the staff then did their unwitting best to co-operate.

It started out when we got to school in the morning and found a bicycle festooned with balloons suspended on top of the assembly hall from both rails of the balcony.

We had a half-dozen or so permanently irate teachers, and one of them, a Maths teacher called Dicky Dawson,  proceeded to get to the balcony and arranged for two students to hold him while he leant over and cut the ropes. The problem was that when he managed to cut the rope he lost his grip on the bicycle, which went plummetting down. Now, even more ill-tempered (and also anally retentive and probably mentally unbalanced) was the music teacher, who went by the name of Wimpy. He was arrnanging the sheet music on the grand piano ready for the hymns for morning assembly when he suddenly found himself disturbed by a bicycle crashing straight into the tail. The view of one dapper music teacher, standing by a wrecked concert grand with a ballooned bicycle sticking out, screaming obscenities and shaking his fists at a dishevelled math teacher suspended by two students holding his legs over the balcony, waving a pair of shears to counter the obscenities set the tone for the rest of the day.

Assembly was cut short slightly when they kidnapped the head boy, who was taken over to the Girl's School down the road and locked up in the toilets, where he was let out mid-morning after the fun had finished.

Then classes started. The Prefects had drawn up a new timetable and every class went to a different lesson and a different room. It had been done so that a grade seven class went to a grade eight classroom and vice-versa, and the result was that over half the teachers didn't even notice. We were Grade Seven Latin class but were assigned to Grade Eight Spanish. The teacher arrived, told us to open the books at the requisite page, and started to teach us. It was only twenty minutes later, after he had asked a dozen questions which none of us could answer because we had never studied Spanish in our life, that he suspected something was wrong. "Some of you, don't seem to have woken up yet this morning, do you?" he said.

The party finished early, at morning break. A couple of chemistry students had been assigned to put a fire cracker in a desk to be triggered by an alarm clock. Unfortunately the twelth grade chemistry class was not as 'au fait' as previous years (possibly because a chemistry teacher called the Major had lived up to his name and blown up the lab and much of the equipment some months previously). The result was that they got the quantities wrong and the desk, together with much of the room, was reduced to matchsticks.

The two chemistry students were picked up that evening when they crashed the car they had stolen into the docks at Dover. They were expelled from school and obliged to study at the local tech. The parents association coughed up a year's revenue for a new grand piano, which didn't seem to have the sonority of its predecessor, and April's Fool jokes became low key until my kid brother's time, when one of his mates became famous, and got expelled, for belabouring the headmaster with a giant six foot sausage when he was walking down the aisle to morning assembly.

Stephen Jones
Friday, April 02, 2004

The headmaster was lucky. I was the one who had to dress up as the sausage.

Friday, April 02, 2004

A couple of years ago the Canadian government announced that the clock on the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill was going to be replaced with a digital clock as a way to promote the high-tech industry in Ottawa. They said they would even replace the hourly bell tolling with a beep.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-68-648-3666/arts_entertainment/april_fools/clip7

This year the Toronto Star reported speed traps were being setup in a city park to keep joggers from running faster than 10 km/h. Apparently fast runners were disrupting the mating habits of the squirrls!

"Research indicates that one of the greatest inhibiting factors to amorous squirrels is joggers travelling at excessive speeds. It's not simply the wind of their passage but also the rhythmic thudding of their feet and their panting breath. The combination of these quite unfailingly puts the male squirrel off, so to speak, his own stride."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1080774613973&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

cg
Friday, April 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home