Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why Microsoft has nothing to fear

Check this site out:

http://www.tryoutlinux.com

It is an insulting and embarsing marketing site from Lindows that tries to appear to be an objective third party.  It is as much as a FUD against MS as it against other distributions.  But here is the best part of the whole site:

brushmore@phantom:~% telnet www.tryoutlinux.com 80
Trying 64.45.57.180...
Connected to www.tryoutlinux.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:12:42 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 87

You can't even make up stuff this good!

Bill Rushmore
Thursday, April 01, 2004

It's like you just started reading about software companies in the last year.

Thursday, April 01, 2004

Wow, what a completely uncalled for comment.

He's just pointing out that the site uses IIS.  It is kind of funny, considering that that's one MS product that's not better than what is available on Linux.

Lou Franco
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Seeing Lindows runs on top of Windows it's only to be expected :)

Stephen Jones
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Stephen, do you mean all times killer app: Microsoft Unix for Windows? ;-)

Vlad Gudim
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Vlad,
It exists!  It is called Cygwin.  You could also use Microsoft's own Windows Services for Unix.  I prefer Cygwin since it had just about every tool I use on UNIX for Windows.  You get the best of both worlds.

Bill Rushmore
Thursday, April 01, 2004

If you were really clever you would've learnt that that site is hosted.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.tryoutlinux.com

Thursday, April 01, 2004

I think the point still stands.  I'm going to advertise a Linux product.  Should I choose a hosted Windows solution or a hosted Linux solution?  When given the choice, they chose Windows.

Elephant
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Bill,

yes and I had used it regularly to compile some of the frameworks we used to use. ;-)

Vlad Gudim
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Just like a lot of Microsoft's "Use Windows, Not Linux" promotional web sites turn out to be hosted on Linux servers (see the slashdot archive for plenty of examples).

This is much ado over nothing (as usual).

RocketJeff
Thursday, April 01, 2004

"Just like a lot of Microsoft's "Use Windows, Not Linux" promotional web sites turn out to be hosted on Linux servers "

That's the point I was trying to make.  Bunch of noobs here.

Thursday, April 01, 2004

I am all for dogfooding, but hey, should that really extend to the marketing subcontracters?
Should Ford require all their subcontracters drive Fords?

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, April 01, 2004

No, but I think it's a bit different.

It would be like if Ford were to have a float for a parade advertising their vehicles, and you've got a Chevy 3500 series pickup pulling the float.  It just comes across bad.

Elephant
Thursday, April 01, 2004

"Perception is reality."

ElephantBloze
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Well, you'd better tell that to Balmer, who seems to disagree with you.

I hope you own MS stock, there's no reason I can see to be a cheerleader for MS (or anybody else) otherwise.

Thursday, April 01, 2004

"It would be like if Ford were to have a float for a parade advertising their vehicles"

In this case, though, does this website have any actual professional association with real Linux vendors? I just looked at it briefly, but it looked like an opportunist's site, trying to cash in on some Linux traffic. It's not surprizing that there isn't a deep seated connection to Linux in such a case, and it certainly isn't indicting of Linux if the opportunist decided to host it on a Windows based host, anymore than it is to find out that the cat food salesman owns a dog.

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, April 01, 2004

If I saw somebody driving around in a chevy with a "Drive Ford" sign on his car, it'd make me think twice about buying a chevy, not a ford.  The guy must really hate his chevy to put a "Drive Ford" sign on it.

I don't see the need for analogies though.  If you don't understand outsourcing marketing, there's probably no use in arguing with you.

Thursday, April 01, 2004

No probably not Dennis.  Point taken.

Elephant
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Dennis,

If it looks like a Lindows site, smells like a Lindows site and browses like a Lindows site, then it is a Lindows site.

Tapiwa
Thursday, April 01, 2004

What a crappy site.  Look at the Tux logo in the upper-left corner - he's hunchbacked and squinting at you out of one eye, what's that supposed to be all about?  And the overall shape of his head makes him look like Hootie the Owl.

Trollumination
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Registrant:
Lindows.com (EVNBJNYUFD)
  9333 Genesee- Suite 300
  San Diego, CA 92121
  US

Domain Name: TRYOUTLINUX.COM

Administrative Contact:
      Lindows.com  (L22760-OR)        kevin@trueverse.com
      9333 Genesee- Suite 300
      San Diego, CA 92121
      US
      858-587-6700 fax: 858.587.8095

Technical Contact:
      Network Solutions, LLC.  (HOST-ORG)        customerservice@networksolutions.com
      13200 Woodland Park Drive
      Herndon, VA 20171-3025
      US
      1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 14-Apr-2005.
  Record created on 14-Apr-2002.
  Database last updated on 1-Apr-2004 13:36:44 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS1.HOSTPRO.NET            64.226.28.37
  DNS2.HOSTPRO.NET            69.0.145.37

Elephant
Thursday, April 01, 2004

Bah I quickly browsed it with images off, and it's quite a different experience.

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, April 01, 2004

> Should Ford require all their subcontracters drive Fords?

Ford certainly requires their salesmen and their executives to drive Fords while on business.

Thursday, April 01, 2004

What I liked was when in the early nineties Congress was discussing measures to protect the American car industry and some unkind soul took a look aroung the car park to see what cars Congressman were driving. You did have to admit they were impartial; not one American car manufacturer scored higher than another :)

Stephen Jones
Thursday, April 01, 2004

What's most remarkable is that anyone is using IIS. 

fool for python
Thursday, April 01, 2004

> I'm going to advertise a Linux product.  Should I choose a hosted Windows solution or a hosted Linux solution?

Who cares as long as it serves the pages you ask it to? Actually maybe that's the point - it advertises linux by proving that MS' software has gone TU again :-)

Friday, April 02, 2004

I'm using IIS. What is wrong with it?

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, April 02, 2004

From a user's perspective, you can't change or add MIME-type/file extension mappings without administrator rights; you have to go full-bore and use ASP to change HTTP headers. Apache has some dumb defaults too, but it's almost always configured so that you can fix the MIME-type of your XSLT, Windows Media Player, or whichever files without dragging the administrator into it.

Chris Hoess
Saturday, April 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home