Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Box

I feel like working inside the box.
Looks like I have created some box for me and I am trapped inside.  The box looks good at time. But in long tirm it makes me unhappy. Is it supposed to be that way?

ex.. Box like Computer, TV, Job, Office, Home, Restaurent...
Within computer, using a particular language/archietecture  to solve problems etc..

I have learned constantly new thing. But lack the skills to explore the opportunities and use recently learned things to do something new.

What this feeling is called?

A Developer
Wednesday, March 24, 2004

It's called life, there is a support group for it, we meet at the bar.

Seriously, though, all I can recommend is that you try to find some goal to set for yourself, either personally or professionally, and follow some plan to get there.  It may be ok to stay where you are professionally if it gives you the security you need to do whatever you aim for personally.

Not growing or changing at all will leave you feeling like you have accomplished nothing, but just trying to keep up with the times and the neighbors and the rat race won't do you any better.  Find out what the hell you like and care about.  Plan how to grow and improve in those things, and see if there are unnecessary things in your life that you don't need. (Learning JAVA is one of those for me, I simply don't care to make it a priority, no matter how popular it gets, as long as I can still make a living C++ing)

Keith Wright

I work in a box too. It's called a cubicle.

SG

Keith Wright,
Thank you for your encourgaging answer.
I feel like in a situtation, where I like what I do, but outside of that, no interest.  I just interact with these boxes and life goes inside.  I had worked hard to achieve all these and now these boxes have become my life.

Any plan to get out of these boxes gives me uncomfortness.
I can go deeper in these boxes, but that gives temporary enjoyment.

I used to be very good at almost anything, including thinking of expanding daily., No more unfortunately. I feel trapped.

A Developer

Train for and run a marathon.

ken

Why is there always someone who says the answer is to run?

Oh well, it's time for my lunch hour 10k.

pdq

Programming isn't physical enough, a little exertion sometimes helps put things into perspective.  A little landscaping did me a lot of good last year.

Keith Wright

A thought that ran through my mind when i read this:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Newton's first law of motion. It's a universal law, isn't it?

DogCat
Thursday, March 25, 2004

I used to live in a box. In the middle of the road.

Clutch Cargo
Thursday, March 25, 2004

"I used to live in a box. In the middle of the road."

- Aye, Gesiah! And when you tell today's youngsters this, then don't believe you!

- No, no, no...

Unsygn
Thursday, March 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home