Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Cluetrain Manifesto

Anyone read this book?  Any thoughts on how accurate its description is of the internet?

I also came upon this quote while reading...

"However much we long for the Web is how much we hate our job."
I love my job and enjoy what the internet offers...what gives??

all_aboard
Wednesday, March 17, 2004

'What gives?' = 'What's up with that?' (ok, maybe not so helpful), 'Why is that?', 'What are they talking about?'

Wise*ss

Excessively 1999-hip dissertation about the power of the internet to transform everything throughout the known universe for all time, and to allow us to ascend bodily as beings of light.

Seriously, it makes excellent points about the distribution of the means to communicate.

The problem I have with Cluetrain is that it discards the centralized PR power of corporations as irrelevant; even with the internet, corporations still prevail as far as telling their story. And the book doesn't really deal with the corrosive backlash against free internet speech, such as lawsuits directed at exercize of free speech (which makes speaking your mind uneconomical if not illegal.)

Bored Bystander

"There ought to be limits to freedom."

Shrub

>> "There ought to be limits to freedom."

There are.  They are called consequences.

TheManWhoWouldBeKing

Consequences can be made to disappear
with enough money and control of the media.

son of parnas

My recollections of Cluetrain Manifesto, which, to be fair, I didn't read thoroughly:

- half was obvious
- half was wrong
- the writers were more enamored of verbal cleverness than of making a solid case.

Cluetrainless

"the problem I have with Cluetrain is that it discards the centralized PR power of corporations as irrelevant; even with the internet, corporations still prevail as far as telling their story"

brilliant

"which makes speaking your mind uneconomical if not illegal"

insightful

lumberjack

Let me save you the trouble: "The internet is great."

Rick Watson

The problem is that those who are influenced by market-speak will not change becasue of the web. It's genetic.

fool for python
Thursday, March 18, 2004

It contains some good points, but the writing (and writer?) is cloudy, self-aggrandizing, and overgeneralized and that really takes the edge off of the essay.  It reminds of those Extreme Programming books which say the same thing over and over again, chapter after chapter, volume after volume, when the point could be succinctly summarized on an index card.

Junkster
Tuesday, March 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home