Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Thank you,Joel.

No, its not farewell time. Just that I talk too much.

I came here to JoS last June or July. I believe I began posting to this forum September 2003 onwards. I've learnt about some of the finest of books on software from Joel's book list and from members of this forum. I've had the pleasure of reading golden words of wisdom from the most pearlish of books one softy-guy could ever read on the subject, all because of this website, to which many of the people in *my* world are oblivious. Like I never shared my possession of Dostoevsky's novels with my schoolmates because they were too materialistic I thought for the treasure of his spiritual revelations, I do not share this web address with many of my colleagues simply because <opinion>they are not deserving.</opinion>

On this site I meet everyday, people who are brilliant in many ways and have awe-inspiring knowledge of their craft. I could linger on to some experiences common to all of us members of this site, but I'll be sparing in words and just say what I have to.

I have to say, Joel, if there are any other words that carry better an import of thanks than the words "thank you", if there be any other word to measure gratitude of the magnitude we have for you, then I must know them, Guru Joel, and I must say them to you.

Ah! And I am still kicking...

*softy-guy: May be it's not in the dictionary. My coinage. Just felt like shortening "software guy"

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Saturday, February 28, 2004

I sure am an Indian, but I didn't. Who ate the space after the comma in the title of this post?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy

Would the moderators be so kind as to insert a space after the comma there? It looks ugggggly this way, not to mention frightening. It will gimme a compiler error anytime.

Option Explicit

Dim you as Whatever
Dim Joel as Whatever

Compiler Error: Variable (you,Joel) not defined

Hey, but...!

Sathyaish Chakravarthy

I too have become a huge fan in a short time.  I spend way too much time on forums, but much less of it is wasted here.  Off-line, I don't socialize with a lot of people who share my passion for software creation, so it's nice to find a community from whom I am learning so much in that arena.  I have done a bit of proselityzing of JoS to my collegues, and while it's generally been well received, they do bust my chops--accusing me in jest of having some kind of obsession with Joel the man as opposed to JoS the resource.

The thing is, whether you see Joel the man as a guru or an egomaniac, there should be no denying that the resource is awesome.  Things like the Sloppy Test and Painless Bug Tracking have become some of the stimuli for improving a lot of processes in the shop where I work.  Whether that is because his observations are revelatory--going where no software pundit has gone before--or whether he just has an uncanny knack for stating the best lessons of the last 50 years of software creation in ways that make the reader say, "yes, that just makes sense," I won't say, but it works for me.

And of course, credit goes to the forum contributors too, from whom I also learn an incredible lot.

MacSqueeb

Softy-guy wrote, "I do not share this web address with many of my colleagues simply because <opinion>they are not deserving.</opinion>".

I might suggest that those of your colleagues who are not deserving are the ones who need forums like this the most.

Zahid

It seems u have problem with everyone.
IITians
IIM people
Your colleagues

You talk too much insane.

Friend
Sunday, February 29, 2004

>It seems u have problem with everyone. IITians, IIM people, your colleagues.

Utter nonsense! My comments on that particular IITian need not be generalized, and as such IITians are brilliant. I was offering my experience in having known an IITian and that's all.

The piece on IIM was a debate on fee slash, that was all over the news.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Sunday, February 29, 2004

Sathyaish is cool. Having trouble with IIT'ians and IIM-ers is the sign of an independent mind. If we had a few Sathyaish's and a few less Infosys's, we would be set.

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

... a few more Sathyaish's, that should be.

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home