Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

BACKWEB-8876480.EXE - What the hell is that ?

Can someone tell me why this file (BACKWEB-8876480.EXE-
0566499E.pf) would need server access to the internet. 
Or what this file does.  Thanks.

Hotgen
Friday, February 27, 2004

google for it - BACKWEB-8876480.

The first link says its not bad. But everyone else seems to think it is. Use AdAware

B

Do you have F-Secure anti-virus installed?

Nigel

See

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/backweb-8876480/

(Google is your friend)

R Chevallier

On this general topic, that page says:

Description: Comes with the software for Logitech products. Automatically checks for software upgrades and new products, services, and special offerings from Logitech.
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No

Now, the thing is I think its misclassified. It checks for "new products, services, and special offerings". Now how the heck is that not adware???? Furthermore, the user didn't know what it was so he didn't specifically ask to have this ad-grabber installed. Sounds like a trojan to me! He installs his mouse driver and the next thing ya know it's downloading ads frem the net without permission! You can't tell me that ain't trojan adware!!!

Dennis Atkins

I have backWeb-7288971.exe and that came with my Kodak digital camera and is in a folder named "Software Update"

Could it be a different version of that?

Chris Ormerod

It's not so much adware as optional update checking ware, similar to that built into XP. It's quite easily turned off.
Go Start -> Logitech -> Desktop Messenger

Uncheck both boxes.
:)

armcurl
Sunday, February 29, 2004

Whehe! Great !!

I was also searcing for this strange BackWeb thing!

I'v got a logitech-mouse.., GREAT! :)

Grtz

Ferdi

Ferdi B
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

He guys,

Thanks very much for the info. just bougth a laptop with yes, a logitech mouse. I got warned my norton internet security but could not find a virus. Thank goodness, it is  not. But I unchecked the boxes :-)

Wouter

WouterAntonisse
Saturday, March 13, 2004

I just ran RegScrubZP on my system and it found a registry key for BackWeb-8876480.exe but says the run file does not exist.  I told it to fix the problem.  In running RegScrubXP a second time the file was no longer there.  After a reboot I ran RegScanXP again and the file is back in the registry in the Run section.  As suggested previously I went to the Logitech Desktop Manager to tell it not to run this software and both boxes are already unchecked.  How do I get tid of this?

Charlie Ridgway
Thursday, April 08, 2004

you can "run" msconfig in your run window and
in the startup programs uncheck it there!
also do a search for the file and remove it.

Paul

paul dean
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Hi guys,
I completely agree with you, this BlackWeb-thingy is an ad to me as well, and I don't like Logitech to bring it into my  system (to say the least) without telling us they do.

However I could not find the possibility of taking away ticks as several of you guys seem to have done.

I have gone through the register, and I can tell you I have been clicking away at full speed for something like a quarter of an hour before I had found all entries. Never even have I seen such a polluting item as this one.

Phons Westerwoudt

Phons Westerwoudt
Sunday, April 18, 2004

Hi boys,

I was install Logitech mouse MX 510 - its  very good!!!
and BackWeb-8876480.exe try to go to Internet.
Its software to update new software and drivers to Logitech mouse :-)

Its ok - but you can stop this to press setup in mouse in Control Panel.
Bay
D2003

didi
Thursday, April 29, 2004

Process File: backweb-8876480 or backweb-8876480.exe
Process Name: Logitech Desktop Messenger
Description: Comes with the software for Logitech products. Automatically checks for software upgrades and new products, services, and special offerings from Logitech.
Company: Logitech
System Process: No
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
Common Errors: N/A

Bryon Dehek
Saturday, May 01, 2004

Actually,

If you disable System Restore and then uncheck mark both boxes, restart your PC and then re-enable System Restore it will not come back.  Most people don't notice it until they are having other system problems, so it is deeply embedded in the System Restore function as something that should be present.  Just make sure that you know exactly where to go to do your anti-virus updates and software firewall updates as soon as you reboot after dooing your initial reboot.  Also, make sure that you re-download all of Microsoft's security patches as you will probably lose several doing the reboot to last known good if you need to follow this method to clean your PC.

Good luck and PEACE,

S4N

Steve in Ohio
Wednesday, May 19, 2004

I just got the mx510 and it had this backweb installed.  Norton caught it a couple time when I booted my system up and I thought that I had it removed.  Come to find out it is still running and I chat on a chat program known as paltalk and here someone highjacked my handle and now I can't get it back.  Running tools to remove it completely from my system now.  I say get rid of it, it will only cause you headaches if you keep it.

Besides, it just as easy to go to logitechs site and search for updates.  Then again if it's not broken, don't fix/upgrade it.

Eric
Tuesday, May 25, 2004

I Installed a wire-less Logitech keyboard and also found this creature on my 'puter. Have gone to msconfig, start  and found the following entry and check box: Checkbox "LDM"  " \Program\Backweb-8876480.exe" I un-checked the box and it shows up checked after the next re-start. There seems to be no way to un-check this and not have it load on start-up, and re-check itself everytime. Any sugestions on howto dis-able this animal.

Edd Ciccarelli
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Back web is nothing more than away of updating your software for your Logitech components.  Many applications include something similar to this as a convenience to the customer.  For example:  there are windows automatic updates and norton anti-virus automatic updates as well.  Unfortunately sometimes software will conflict with other software.  The best way to fix backweb is to never install it.  In the initial install do a custom install instead of the standard install.  When you install the software do not install anything related to system updates or the Logitech manager.  If you do this your Logitech components will work just fine as well as your computer.  Once backweb is installed you can try unchecking it, restore your computer to a previous point, try msconfig or in my case I did a complete system restore to factory settings.  I have since re-installed all of my Logitech components for ex: wireless keyboard and mouse, webcam, momo, and joystick and have had no problems when I did the custom install.  The best way to fix it is not to install the updates ever.  Other than the backweb my Logitech components are pretty cool to use and I will keep buying more.

Ben Efforts
Thursday, June 03, 2004

I have not installed any new hardware in over a year including my Logitech mouse.  This BACKWEB-8876480.EXE did not appear until a few weeks ago.  Explain that my hombres.

Mark D
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I just found out that backWeb-7288971.exe is a VIRUS, but its spelled exactly like that. I have no logitech products, luckily, I have a firewall installed...but that is not solving the problem.

Frank
Thursday, July 29, 2004

backWeb-7288971.exe came from the installation of  a new Kodak camera dock. It detects an internet connection and searches for upgrades. No telling what it sends back to the hive.

I run Zone Alarm and prevent it from accessing the internet. Ran Adaware and it does not detect it. Norton does not detect it.

Dean Willis
Monday, August 09, 2004

Uninstalling the Kodak software using Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs doesn't get rid of the updater (backWeb-7288971.exe) either.  It's still in Start->Programs->Startup, and there is a Start-> Programs->Kodak folder in the menu (without an Uninstall option either).  Not very user-friendly from a reputable company like Kodak.

A. Friend
Monday, August 09, 2004

When i installed my Logitech mouse driver, it came up with an option to install the update messenger... so the fact that it sends details to Logitech without the user knowing it is false...

But then again... what a stupid name Logitech gave that file - backweb-8876480.exe

TheCyborg
Thursday, August 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home