Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Question for Florida Residents

I just moved to Florida and was wondering from those that live here what are the dress norms for interviews and jobs in the IT sector in this area of the country? I ask because even in winter it's f**king hot.

Thanks.

Marlin
Sunday, February 15, 2004

I can't see hot weather being a factor in allowing for leniancy(sp) in interview dress.  I would think most places would have air conditioning anyway.  Dress how you think it is appropriate for the place you are applying at.

Disclaimer: I don't live in Florida.  Just voicing my 2 cents.

Trying to write this book.

I do live in Florida.  Dress for Success.  What mode you will where _once_ you become an employee is very different from getting the job. 

Like a wedding or a funeral, dress to show respect for the other person

MSHack

I agree with MSHack - dress to impress for an interview *unless* otherwise instructed. We occasionaly interviewed on Fridays for a recent opening and would always let the interviewee know we would be dressed casually. But again - unless you're given explicit instructions on what to wear or not to wear, it's time to play dress up.

For what it's worth, I'm in FL as well. I gotta say, though, that the weather is a pretty rediculous reason for expecting to get away with less than what's usually expected. You're not interviewing outside, I assume, and if the company has no AC...well...not a good sign for their financial state.

One more tip: if you can't handle FL weather in February, you really need to move before summer rolls around. It's not gonna get any cooler than it is right now!

Ryan LaNeve
Monday, February 16, 2004

It's often over 100F here in Australia and we still wear suits and everything. Since indoors, and cars are air conditioned it doesn't really matter, as you are only outside briefly.

I would say that it's essential that your car has air conditioning though, else you will ruin your clothes by sweating all the way to work.

Matthew Lock

-----" I gotta say, though, that the weather is a pretty rediculous reason for expecting to get away with less than what's usually expected. "-----

Good grief, yes! What'll they be up to next? Dispensing with a tuxedo for dinner and mixing with the natives, probably!

Stephen Jones

Suits...

My god.

Simon Lucy

Yes, I love in Florida - yes, you should wear a suit for interviews unless otherwise instructed.

Matt

OK ... I'll get the suit. Thanks for the info.

Marlin

I live and work in Miami. Standard rules apply. I always wear a suit to interviews. Note: a lot of management is Latin. The culture is different. The older generation respects formality in business.

With the death of the dot-com culture, I don't believe you can go wrong with a suit.

Tom

Tom

"Note: a lot of management is Latin"

Whoa. No wonder they taught latin at my high school.

Is "Latin" a typo or some new PCism for "Latino"?

Philo

Philo

Short for "Latin American".

Nate Silva

Which is referring to people from Latin America, it is not PC-speak. America != USA.

Nate Silva

I also live and work in Miami, and the heat is just part of life here. Can you really expect the rules around interviewing to be different here just because of the weather? I can see it now: coming to an interview in shorts and sandals, and greeting the incredulous stares of your interviewers with "You didn't *really* expect me a wear a suit, did you? It's hot out there!". Somehow, I don't think that'll fly. Florida is not *that* different from the rest of the world, at least where this is concerned.

Tom and others - do you know of anyone else in South Florida that visits this site? I've signed up to the Meetup group in Broward since that seems to have a few members already, but I'm in Miami Lakes, so anywhere in the general area is fine with me. I'm real excited to meet other members of this forum in person.

And as far as the "Latin/Latino" labels, they're pretty much interchangeable. I'm a Latino myself, though I can count on one hand the number of times I've used that word in an English sentence. I prefer "Hispanic", but only because I like the sound of it better. It's all a matter of personal taste.

Rich

I lived in the Tampa Bay Area 12 years ago. And I wore a suit to the interview. The job tunred out to be casual, but they informed me of that when I showed up.    Yes its hot, but its really great weather IMHO in FLA.  I'm not too familiar with South FLA, but I can tell you that North FLA is quite conservative (I am originally from South GA). Companies in Florida are as varied as anywhere else, so your work environment may be very causual or dark blue suits...
Good Luck (If you like being outdoors, you'll love FLA)

Eddie Dickey

I moved from South Florida (Palm Beach County) last year. I would recommend a suit for interviewing even in the summer when its 90+ degrees outside and 90+ % humidity.

If you think its hot in February, you will be sweltering in the "off season."

Peter
Tuesday, February 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home