Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Cognitive Science Questions

Does anyone here work in a field related to cognitive science?  What is a degree in cognitive science worth?  Are there actual jobs, or will you end up being an academician?  BTW, from a personal experience perspective, what exactly is the definition of cognitive science?

Adam N
Thursday, February 12, 2004

Simon Fraser University (Canadian Uni) in British Columbia offers cognitive science studies, you might want to call their academic adviser or check out their site (www.sfu.ca) for more info. There are other unis that offer this ofcourse, but this is my 2 cents.

Li-fan Chen

McGill University in Montreal offers a minor in Cognitive Science that's a combination of philosophy, logic, linquistics, and computer science classes.  The impression I had when I looked into it was that it was an academic field only.

Justin Johnson

I took an introductory Cognitive Science course at Simon Fraser University.  It's certainly a facinating area of study. 

Cognitive since is an interdisciplinary study which includes psychology, linguistics, computer science, philosophy, and neuroscience with the unifying goal of understanding and explaining human cognition.

Almost Anonymous

I have a Cognitive Science degree from the University of California, San Diego.

Cognitive science is still gaining awareness, just as it was 7 years ago.  It's still not completely unknown.  Our program had a blend of behavioral psych, neurophysiology, and computer modeling--sort of a multifaceted study of cognitions, with opportunities to take other related classes like linguistics and the like.  I myself took the "human cognition" specialization, which studied HCI.

Some companies actually list they're looking for CogSci grads (along with Computer Science), a few seem to prefer it (the rare HCI-type jobs, word on the street is that they generally require a Masters).

As for me?  I work as a generic "systems engineer", at the moment doing Java development and what amounts to network consulting.  It's not by any stretch a direct match, but I still enjoy the subject and I certainly do get to use principles that I learned all the time.

Rich

Cognitive science has been "about to gain awareness" since at least 1989.

Most job ads specifying cog sci are placed by people with cog sci degrees themselves. Some cog sci graduates like to believe they are the only people able to design things, but experience shows this is not the case.

Mr./Ms " ".

You're a bit snarky there, but correct. :)

Rich
Friday, February 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home