Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Domain name services

I want to register some domain names.  Any suggestions on domain name service providers???  cost, reliable??

KS
Friday, February 06, 2004

namecheap.com worked for me. $8.88 I think.

Nigel

Don't know if you are in Canada (not that it really matters-lol), but easydns.com is accessible and knowledgeable.

Li-fan Chen

DNS providers are not the same as registrars.
To register a domain, you use a registrar.
To make it refer to something useful, you need a nameserver (DNS). The two are usually different, though most registrars offer redirect services for free using either nameservers + web servers + mail servers.

gandi.net has the best terms of service for a registrar and good prices.
others will reccomend a few other good services.
network solutions/verisign is ranked an avoid. worst prices, worst service, worst terms of service.

mb

oh, and to make it more confusing but convenient, many web hosting companies will act as name server (normal) and registrar (as a reseller).

mb

www.zoneedit.com  Free for up to five domains.  I use it for the two that I own

Steve

http://www.dyndns.org works well for me. In addition to the services their name implies they're also a registrar and provide static hosting as well. Never had a problem.

Chris Winters

I second zoneedit.  It always works.  I've done setup the DNS for others on different websites, and I've seen places severly botch up DNS.  zoneedit just always works for me.

As far as a registrar goes, I use www.registerfree.com which is powered by www.melbourneit.com.au although somehow register free is far cheaper?  Don't know why, but I'll take it.  (registerfree.com originally gave away domain names for free for about 48 hours until they got swampped so hard, they had to put a price on them).

Elephant

Let me see if I've got this straight.  After picking a name for my site, I do the following:

1. Register the name.
2. Find a DNS provider.
3. Find a web hosting site.

Student A

Right.  Some companies may be able to provide multiple if not all of those steps.

Elephant

But make sure you own the Domain Name unless this is just for hobby sites. Some companies will register it in their name and rent it back to you (and hold it hostage if you ever want to go someplace else).

Tom H

Listen to mb everyone, he breathes dns.

Li-fan Chen

mb is especially right when he says: "network solutions/verisign is ranked an avoid. worst prices, worst service, worst terms of service."

This has been my experience. I've used many registrars and Verisign/Network Solutions was by far the worst in terms of customer service, price, and ease-of-use. Not to mention that they are Evil (TM) for doing that .com wildcard thing.

Nate Silva

GoDaddy.com ($7.95) is my fave!

Get more reviews at webhostingtalk.com

rml
Saturday, February 07, 2004

Usually, DNS service is provided by the web host. They give you the names of their DNS servers and you enter it into your domain records. All domain registrars provide a way to enter DNS server names into the whois record. Then the web host sets up their DNS servers to handle your domain.

Administering DNS servers is difficult to troubleshoot because changes take a relatively long time to propagate and become visible. My recommendation is to let the web host take care of it.

Name registration is best purchased by you separately from the hosting. This way, you keep complete control over the domain ownership. If the web host goes belly up, you can point at another hosting service.

Bored Bystander

Its best to handle DNS yourself. Keeps you in control. If you change host you can quickly point your site to your new host or a temporary IP while you are in the process. Another thing is email and ssh. You can control where you want them. You can keep changing, even though your web pages are served by one company --- you can keep changin which company serves you what. When you get slahsdotted, you can point to a free page so that your bandwidth meter won't sky rocket.

I had this site on ipowerweb, they took a long time to change the MX record for me. And when a virus like MyDoom would hit you (I know, just trying to be hypothetical), you would want to be in control.

Ravi

Thanks a lot - I used web.com at $6.95 and use zoneedit for DNS

KS
Wednesday, February 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home