Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

cross platform version control

I am trying to institute the use of version control software in our company.  We use a mix of Macintosh (OS 9 & OS X) and Windows PCs (2000 & XP Professional).  Our work is mostly Flash development.  None of the employees have any experience with version control, most don't know what it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a software solution that could work in this environment which is very easy to set up and teach to novices?

Frogmoses
Thursday, February 05, 2004

We use SeaPine Software (http://www.seapine.com/surroundscm.html) Surround SCM product which runs on OSX, Windows, Linux, and Solaris.  I don't know if it works with OS9.

MR

I really like Perforce. They have clients for Windows, Mac, Linux, and tons of other Unixes.

Beware that Flash development is very unfriendly to source-control! Since the .FLA project files are binary, most SCM systems cannot "merge" code changes from multiple users and you cannot see the "diffs" from your check-in history. The best-practice for Flash development is to put as little code and assets in your .FLA project files as possible. Move your ActionScript code to .AS text files and then #include them into your .FLA frames. Then multiple users can merge their .AS text file changes and you can see check-in history diffs.

runtime

The defacto choice for cross-platform version control is CVS.  Every major platform has a CVS client.  CVS isn't exactly the easiest to use, and it has its quirks, but it's proven, and well-supported.

If you're looking on using a "CVS enhanced", look at Subversion (SVN).  Subversion is relatively new, but it's still a little rough around the edges.

Of course, if you have the money, Perforce is pretty hard to beat, feature-wsie.

Myron A. Semack

Perforce.

veal
Friday, February 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home