Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Salary negotiation style

What do you think is the most effective salary negotiation style? Should we be as "pushy" as possible? Or "cool" ?

Frog Creep
Thursday, December 18, 2003

You have not supplied enough information to answer the question.

Abort retry cancel

What's your history ?  are you usually too pushy and in your face or too soft and passive  ?  and most importantly, do you usually get what you want.

The actually salary negotiations part of a review  has always been at the end of the session.

I usually have a plan which goes a little like :

- what i did that contributed the last 6 months.

(To make it real clear I and they understand exactly how you produce income)

"Well ok, in the last six months I have driven the development for project X Y Z, I helped write documents A BC, I initiated the new procedure for BLAH BLAH..

- where I want to go in the future.

(To make it real clear I am commited to the organisation and I want to contribute more, to infiltrate myself into their plans for the future...)

"I like working here, i like the people, i like the environment, long term i want to maximize my effect by co-ordinating other people, I would like to give managing a large project...

- What other people are getting.... and what i want..

'My understanding, looking at the people who graduated when I did and have a similar role is that they are one XX to YY.  Also from what I have read the average people are getting for the sort of work I do is YYY...  Now I dont really consider myself an average person, I want to contribute... 
I would like ZZZ..'

General tips :

- the hardest part is literally naming a figure, it's an ego thing, be brave, name a figure....

- Being assertive is probably more about silence than what you say.  if there is an uncomfortable silence after a statement dont be afraid to just wait it out....

- Detach emotions as much as possible, they are nice people, you are a nice person.... this isn't personal.

braid_ged

I'm interested to know what has been a hit and miss strategy based on the forum posters experiences, work environment, and personality.

THanks for the input braid. Hope the other posters can give more input.

Frog Creep
Friday, December 19, 2003

Well my answer's the same. You haven't said if this is for a new job offer, or if it is for a current job. You haven't told us how salary negotiotions are done in the firm nor who will be making the final decision. You haven't mentioned what sort of jobm you do, whether you're indispensible, what cultural context you are in (advise to a chinaman in peking will be different than to a irishman in dublin), or really anything that would help us help you. if you want people to help you, you have to give them information about what it is you want help with. As far as my own personal strategies, they have been different depending on the situation. You think there is some one size fits all strategy? Well here it is - just accept what they give you and be thankful for it. That tends to work in all situations.

Abort retry cancel

Tell ya what, frog let's try this the other way around.

There's something wrong with my computer and I don't want to pay any one to fix it. What should I do to fix it?

Please everyone, respond according to your personal experience in fixig computers. I am sure someone here will know the answer if you all are as smart as you act.

Abort retry cancel

Frog Creep, given the way you've posed this question and handled responses, you should just accept whatever they give you, if they give you anything.

Oh boy

In addition to the tactics listed above, if you're making below-average salary, you can quote some reports about what the average is for somebody in your field with your level with expertise, *in your area*.

That's a good way to put them on the defensive, because then it's fairly black-and-white that they're underpaying you.  But you have to present that the right way.  Don't make it into a battle of egos where the other person has to "lose" and capitulate to your demands.

In other words, don't flat-out say they're ripping you off at your current salary or imply that they're cheap.  But ask with honest concern, "Well, I'm concerned about why you think I'm not worth the industry average, having been pleased with my accomplishments and blah blah blah"

John Rose

Regarding my previous post: of course, you have to factor in the business' overall health/size/performance with that strategy.  If it's a 4-man operation that was a 10-man operation several weeks ago, perhaps now is not the time to press.  :P

John Rose

And of course, if the average salary in your area is well above what you're making, nothing is keeping you tied to this job, I presume. Negotiating from the position of having another job lined up is always a position of strength. Of course, you don't tell them you have another job lined up, you just let it comfort you while you sleep.

There have been other threads on this topic, look them up.

www.MarkTAW.com

You can suggest them that you also have another job lined up. This increases the pressure you put on them.

James

This is like having a girlfriend.

Imagine that you are a geeky guy, you have a girlfriend, but you are not sociable - you don't talk to other women.

Now, your girlfriend can treat you like sh#t and walk all over you.

Now imagine a different situation: you have a girlfriend, and you are a sociable guy - you have a few female friends and one or two close female friends.

Now, your girlfriend won't treat you bad.

Why?

Because she knows that if she treats you badly, then you have other alternatives.

She knows that you can get another woman in a short period of time, if you want to.

So, she will treat you well, in order not to lose you.

James

Some companies, like some girlfriends, aren't shallow bitches that will treat you bad unless you threaten to leave. I can't say that this is the majority, but I have seen some like this.

pdq

I'm a sociable guy and have lots of female friends. My girlfriend doesn't treat me bad, but at the same time, I really don't see how this strategy would help you. She could also get jealous, accuse you of cheating, and fire.. errr... dump your ass.

If my employees talked to other companies, and made it known, I would assume they were looking around and start ensuring they were replaceable.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, December 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home