Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

C# .NET and NT 4

Does it run on Windows NT 4? A simple question, but thanks for any replies :)

Spud
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

.NET in general works under NT4, but ASP.NET Web Services do not.

Mister Fancypants

Thank you!

Spud

To clarify a little... NT4 is treated as a CLIENT platform, rather than a SERVER platform. There are a whole host of things that will run on server platform OSes (including Windows XP, even though it's technically a consumer OS) that will not run on the client platform OSes. ASP.NET and Web Services are just 2 of those things; there are others.

Basically, you're okay to target NT4 w/ Windows Forms, and the client side of Web Services.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Oh, and I believe that the SDK will not install on NT 4, so you cannot use it as a development platform (which is also true of the other client platform OSes, like 95, 98, and Me).

Yes, I'm writing a relatively simple GUI App (like we'd do in MFC/Win32 and VB/C++) that will run on NT4 in the end. But I figured I'd learn C# and Winforms while I'm at it. Thanks!

Spud

NT 4 is trash!!! I am forced to use it as a workstation!!!!

NO USB support!!!!!!! uggggggg

GenX'er

The OS was released in 1996, for god's sake. It's like harassing the original Windows 95 for lack of USB support (which it, too, did not have... OEM version 2 included rudimentary keyboard and mouse USB support only).

You are in my boat.  I have NT4 at work.  So I can use .net, but not .net 2003.  IOW, can develop using .net SDK for .net framework 1.0, but not SDK for .net framwework version 1.1.

Brian R.

Brian, are you talking end-user apps or actual development on NT4?

Spud
Thursday, December 18, 2003

Actual development.  I haven't tried loading the 1.1 framework onto my development machine because there is no point in doing so.

All of these replies to your post are true, I find.  There is something on NT4 workstation called peer web services, but I think it is actually for developing ASP apps from a remote server machine (like NT *server*), which has IIS on it.  Like a remote debugger, perhaps.

I was confused by the docs (or should I say hype) - the word "stand-alone" was in their somewhere, I think. 

Brian R.
Saturday, December 20, 2003

NT 4 has IIS on it (Peer Web Services is just IIS with a different name), but it's not nearly new enough for ASP.NET. The whole platform is so out of date with respect to server technology that they opted only to support it as a client platform, not as a server platform.

Sunday, December 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home