Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Opportunities Revisited

Some time back I brought up the issue where Quark was suffering quality problems due to outsourcing and this gave Adobe a chance to really move forward with market share. I suggested that rather than be upset about outsourcing we see it as an opportunity for the little guy to wipe out the big giant.

The founding editor of Fast Company seems to agree:

http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20031104/5646892s.htm

He argues that outsourcing and reducing investment in workers can only lead to less innovation and a return to the situation like in the 1970s where car makers got their butts kicked by the japanese who, notoriously, treated their workers as valuable assets of their companies and reaped the numerous rewards from doing so.

So again, don't complain! Use this opportunity to increase your market share against the big guys!

Among the 5000 maintenance programmers that IBM announced they are laying off today and rehiring in India and China? No problem! Start your own consulting and provide better results than IBM does.

King David
Monday, December 15, 2003

It's a piece of cake! Just go out to Best Buy and get yourself a mainframe. Set it up in your rec room. That way, you're ready to be My Own Consulting Company, Inc.!

Note: You may want to talk to a plumber first about the pros and cons of connecting your new mainframe's water-cooling system directly to your household plumbing.

Note: You may want to talk to an electrician first about the pros and cons of installing a raised floor in your rec room.

Note: You may want to get rid of all of your pets and/or children in order to make room for the tape storage.

Note: You may want to talk to a banker first to ensure that you are really really wealthy before starting this business.

HOORAY FOR ENTREPRENEURSHIP!!!!1

MD

Water cooled mainframes, that's so 1970s - modern mainframes are the size of large refriderators and are cooled with fans.

Utilizing employees as a force for change is part of the six-sigma methodology.  If one looks at GE one will see employees who are encouraged to identify areas for change and investigate and propose changes.  Now GE uses contractors for most of their coding, but that makes sense for them - they don't write code for a living.  It is amazing how many ideas are floating around GE since this methodology was adopted - that's some real capital a lot of companies just don't leverage.

Lou

King David wrote, "Start your own consulting and provide better results than IBM does."

King David, I don't wish to offend you, but you appear to be suffering from "simplistic thinking" -- the most common, widespread, and infectious disease known to mankind.

King David wrote, "...where car makers got their butts kicked by the japanese who, notoriously, treated their workers as valuable assets of their companies and reaped the numerous rewards from doing so."

Well, both Japan and Taiwan are currently losing a significant number of their manufacturing jobs to lower labor cost countries such as China.  I bet many of those affected Japanese and Taiwanese workers don't feel like they are being treated as a valuable asset anymore.  :-(

One Programmer's Opinion

I only speak as one with humble experience startin from nothing and destroying my largest competitor by producing a superior product. But what do I know, you fellows are so much more clever than me. Surely it would have been better for me to spend those years complaining about my lot in life and how the man was giving my life away and there was nothing I could do about it.

See ya!

King David

Please provide link to superior product (we all want one) and to defeated competitor (provided they still exist).

AJS

Oh wise King David,

May mighty Microsoft never have you in their sights, lest they 'Netscape' you and your humble business out of existence.

Beware the power of my stinky feet!

Hi King David,

I would be genuinely interested to know more about your experiences of creating a better product and wiping out the competition.

I'm sure others would be interested too.

Please elaborate.

Steve Jones (UK)
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

King David,

Me too. No sarcasm intended or implied.

I want to hear a success story. Consider posting it as a new thread called something like "Get off your ass and make it happen".

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Me four! (bad reference to Sam Adams ad) I'd love to hear another success story.

jedidjab79
Wednesday, December 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home