Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Opinion on Experts Exchange

Do any of you guys use Experts Exchange ( http://www.experts-exchange.com )? What do you think about it? Is it worth subscribing it, if you want to get some quick solution to some specific problems? I was looking into it to help me in .NET area.
Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Anon
Thursday, December 11, 2003

Doesn't render properly in Netscape!

I don't know about the developer pages; I've taken in the last month or so to answering questions in the OS and Office sections; seems pretty much the same as any other help forum.

Most people exchange answers; so it costs you nothing. If you want a quick answer then paying the $10 for a thousand points, which should get you three quick answers must be an absolute bargain.

Stephen Jones

There are some questions you need an immediate answer to that your colleagues and a quick google just don't reveal.  For that, Experts Exchange or similar fora are an excellent resource.  I've had several tricky questions answered inside of a day. 

Is it worth subscribing to?  Probably.

Lou

They recently redid their entire interface, which I think is now cluttered and difficult to navigate.

As for content, I've both asked and answered questions.  A good portion of the questions I asked were never answered, and I had to request refunds on them.  Lots of questions I answered did not get closed, so the points were never awarded.

Many people just sign up quick, get their free points, and get an answer to their question, and then leave without closing out and awarding.

I also can't believe how many students are in there trying to get others to do their homework ("Can someone tell me how to write a spanning tree algorithm in Java?").  It gets especially bad around midterms and finals.  EE has a policy that they shouldn't do that, but they don't enforce it.

My recommendation is that you can certainly use it, but don't get your hopes up.  Ask on other forums as well.

Walt

If you actually provide an answer, eventually the forum administrator will award the points to you.

We've had that happen to us on several occasions.

My experience with Experts Exchange is that if someone knows the answer to your question, you will get an incredibly fast answer.  Otherwise, you will never get an answer at all.

Phibian

Thanks for the inputs. I am still looking into it. I might just try with a one time subscrition and go from there.

Anon

What about Google Answers? It doesn't require a sign up, and people work hard to find the answer to your questions because... sometimes this is what they do for a living.

www.MarkTAW.com

I think Experts Exchange is much more technical oriented(like .NET etc) than Google Answers. It's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Anon

Sure, but you gotta figure that the people on Google Answers are tech geeks, so while it's more generically oriented, people there specialize and you should be able to get specific answers there anyway.

I don't know how much Experts Exchange chargers per incident, but Google Answers doesn't charge an annual fee.

www.MarkTAW.com

That first sentance came out all wrong. Keep all the facts, but remove the connecting phrases.

www.MarkTAW.com

Experts Exchange offers you 125 points to start with and then 5 points per day.

If you answer questions then you get enough points never to have to pay, that's why it's called Experts Exchange.

If you ask questions then you get 1000 points for $10. 250 points should be enough to attract an immediate answer.

Stephen Jones
Friday, December 12, 2003

Ah. Interesting model. Sounds good.

www.MarkTAW.com

Thanks for all the help guys. Maybe I will try both Google Answers and Experts Exchange and see which one is better for my situations.

Anon

Good or bad, the site was a lot funnier before they added the hyphen.

Saturday, December 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home