Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Apprentice

Looks like an interesting show on NBC... Like one of those Bachelor type shows, but on the other side is a $250,000 job with Donald Trump.

All you job searches pay attention.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, December 08, 2003

*searchers

www.MarkTAW.com

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Apprentice/

Maybe Joel S. can do his own spinoff :
The Coder...
16 geeks all compete for the coveted prize of working at Fogcreek software as Joel's righthand man/woman. 
First assignment,  figure out how to import a 1GB file into City Desk without freezing the app while allowing the user to play his/her fav. video game (i.e Max Payne, HitMan) while listening to his/her favorite mp3 collection (obtained legally, of course)...

Cletus

That would definately be a ratings boost for JoS... Each coder can maintain his/her own blog, and Joel of course would write about it in his own.

www.MarkTAW.com

I hate reality shows...HATE them - but I would have tried out for that one. ;)

Norrick

And all of them get to do a book report. :-)

Dustin Alexander
Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Lucky JoS is on the web and not TV... read a book on tv..... brrr that sounds boring. Even discussing the book would have people changin the channel.

"I disagree with Ayn Rand's premise because..."

www.MarkTAW.com

And some really annoying kid in the background spouting quotations....

"Television is the first truly democratic culture - the first culture available to everybody and entirely governed by what the people want. The most terrifying thing is what the people do want."
-- Clive Barnes

:)

Tapiwa

Haven't you heard? moronometer got invented in one of the scandinavian countries. Hopefully it will be here by xmas.

Utopia is a place where no moron exists

So much anti-tv sentiment... All these posts about not having a job and looking for work, and when a tv show appears about that very subject everyone objects.

I watched The Restaurant and I loved it. I thought it was a great example of the kind of work it takes to start a business. I'll watch this show too. I hope it's as good, and teaches me as much about the kind of evaluation that goes on when someone is being interviewed for a job.

And I hope not too many HR people watch it, but you know they will... I'd hate to have to, say, eat bugs as part of my interview process.

www.MarkTAW.com

You're going to eat bugs all your working life, you might as well get used to it.

;-)

Simon Lucy

Good point. And it's probably good practice for some other feats of courage, like brown nosing.

Maybe I should read that Brian Tracy book "Eat That Frog" and appear on Fear Factor.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, December 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home