Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Rub a Dub Dub Revisited

I recently wanted to update the Israeli Group of Linux Users job tracker. It was written in Perl, and worked quite well, except that the behaviour had some serious deficiencies. From the time I wrote it, I learned about other CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) modules that could have made my job there easier.

A few days ago, I decided it was time I update it. To do
so, I initially thought that it would be a good idea to re-write it from scratch, becuase I had plans to use so many new things. But then I thought that I should first try modifying the
code while keeping its integrity, which is espcially true out of being a proponent of Joel's.

I did not regret it. It took me only a few days (and a smaller time) net to incorporate a lot of changes and to make it utilize some new modules there. Things I was able to do:

1. A new SQL table schema that allows for some 64KB blobs, and some new fields (like job title or cellphone).

2. A mandatory preview and only then preview/submit feature.

3. Some hints in the form on what to put in the fields.

4. Newest Jobs now come first.

5. Better formatted job records with an ability to change to an even
better format. (by use of a template and a CSS stylesheet).

Naturally, the original article talks about refactoring, while this was adding features (with small amounts of refactoring in between). And the scope of the code is much smaller than FogBUGZ, which is in turn, heavily dwarfed by Mozilla. But it does go to illustrate that a working codebase is always a better start than nothing at all.

There a few things I still would like to add there, but they don't warrant a re-write either, and they can wait until the new release.

You can test-drive the new code at:

http://www.iglu.org.il/cgi-bin/jobs/new/main.pl

Shlomi Fish
Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Out of curiosity, does it use mod_perl, or is the PERL interpreter launched every time?

Frederic Faure
Tuesday, November 25, 2003

It should use mod_perl. At least mod_perl is installed on the server and is configured to handle Perl scripts.

Shlomi Fish
Thursday, November 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home