Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

A good C++ editor for Mac

Hi !

I'm trying to start developping on Mac, with the Qt library.
I'm used to Visual Studio on Windows as a C++ editor and I'm having some problems to find an editor on Mac which offers the same features as VS.

Here is what I'm looking for :
- Switch easily from on file to another, without having each file in a separate window (I hate having a mess on my screen !!!)
- Work completion, function parameters help
- powerfull 'find/replace' features
- Synthax colouring.

Anyone here developping on Mac who could suggest me an editor ?
And by the way, what are the main features you're expecting of a C++ editor ?

Thanks !
Jerome

Jerome
Monday, November 17, 2003

Code Warrior or BBEdit Pro are the only two that are close. On X, there's the project builder.

Editors on the PC are rather advanced compared to on the Mac, unfortunately.

King David

CodeWarrior is cool!

As is JEdit http://www.jedit.org

i like i

XCode is new in Panther - http://developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html - it might be what you're looking for.

Walter Rumsby

Hi

Emacs does all the things you are looking for.

Martin Schultz

I second the Emacs vote

Marcus

Well I used emacs for over 10 years. But on the Mac, I spent several days trying to get a compile that would do color syntax highlighting. Eventually I gave up. If there are directions somewhere on how to get it to work, I'd like to know.

King David

vim

Prakash S

second the vim recomendation. If you can get over the learning curve, it's the most satisfying editor I've ever seen. Of course, I've not used emacs.

Mike Swieton

Why not use Project Builder, which comes with it OS X?

Andrew Burton

"Editors on the PC are rather advanced compared to on the Mac, unfortunately."

Including BBEdit?

Jim Rankin

Well, BBEdit is right here in my dock and I use it every day. When I was developing heavily on the PC, Codewright and SlickEdit seemed more full-featured. And I hear that nowadays stuff is even better.

King David

Well, I use XCode or Emacs.  I suppose BBEdit's forte is HTML moreso than code editing.  I did use BBEdit Lite alot on Mac OS 9, and was pretty pleased with it as a free product.

Jim Rankin

If you are looking for an editor that is all-in-one-window, the OS X version of Vim is a good choice. The syntax is obscure but powerful and carries over to other platforms.

But a messy desktop is the "Mac way" (or John Siracusa makes a strong case for that Ars Technica). Personally, I've grown used to it and BBEdit fits in that world. The BBAutoComplete add-in gives auto-completion to any document, no matter what language -- albeit not as sophisticated as Intellisense.

I'm thinking about using Qt myself and would be interested to hear your opinions of it!

Nate Silva
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

CodeWarrior 9 has completion and has some powerful search & replace.

The mac world is one of multiple windows.  Don't worry, there are some good window management tools available (Exposé comes to mind).  Just hit Command-` to cycle in between, or hit Command-[0-9] to go to one directly.

Project Builder & XCode do let you use one window for all text files, but it's not too much of an advantage.

Personally, I use BBEdit.  Tweaked out with a few applescripts, it's fantastic.

H. Lally Singh
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Well, the Mac world used to be a multi-messy windows world, but it's starting to change : Safari with tabs is great and this is exactly the feature I'd like for my C++ editor.
Expose is an improvement, but still not as handy as the tabs.

I'll give a try to some of these editors you're recommanding !

Nate Silva : I just started to develop with it, but I find it very easy to learn, the classes are very consistent and the 'signal-slot' mechanisms easy to use. I also appreciate a lot the many classes provided apart from the ones handling GUI. On windows, Qt works great and is very fast. Even if my projects wouldn't have to be multiplatform, I would develop using Qt.
For the Mac, the few tests I did worked well, but the interface seems a little less responsive and the aqua style is, in my opinion, not very nicely emulated (sometimes, the shape of the controls feel wrong).

Jerome

Jerome
Wednesday, November 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home