Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Copying text from sites/magazines on your Blog.

Hi All,

Recently I cam across a blog where almost all the postings were basically copy of text from Magazine/Site.

It seems that author reads lots of magazines/news sites/tech sites and he copies chunk of text (having the main idea) from article which he liked and puts in to post.

I am not sure if this is okie. Isn't it an IPR (Intellactual Propery Rights) violation?

Your thoughts/views?
JD
http://jdk.phpkid.org

JD
Tuesday, November 11, 2003

It depends on what country he is in. If in the US, he can post excerpts under fair use. But fair use will likely mean in this case, since he is publishing to every one in the world, that he has substantial commentary of his own. If he is merely republishing entire articles, or publishing excerpts without commertary, then he is violating copyright, assuming he does not have a license.

IP Superhero

There is likely a copyright violation if all parties reside in the US, but I think the whole issue comes down to integrity.  You really aren't going to get very far with this type of behavior.  Users will call you on it and ignore the comments and blog all together. 

I took exception with an entry that Joel made in this blog.  I thought it was amazing close to something I posted on this very forum, yet that post wasn't referenced.  If you don't site your references you'll likely get a way with it legally, but in my opinion it is question of integrity.  If you want to risk that, then so be it.  It will probably catch up with you someday.

karma.

Would you care to expand on that karma (maybe before this thread gets removed :-) ?

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

I'm not sure if that is in my best interest.  It really is silly, but I still found it annoying just the same.

karma.

karma wrote, "Users will call you on it and ignore the comments and blog all together."

Most users really don't care whether you violate copyright law or not.

J. D. Trollinger

I think they do.  If you blantantly break copyright laws, you will not be considered a reputable source.  In journalism reputation is everything.

karma.

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home