Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Presentations: One CPU to several monitors ??

Hi!

I have to teach a seminar on the use and troubleshooting of my company's products.  As such, I am preparing the classes and presentations I will use.

To be able to do a proper presentation of the product, I'd like to be able to "hook" two computers (client & server) to an the overhead projector, and at the same time to be able to see their display "for presentation use".

The projectors I can use have dual video input, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I still have to be able to get a second video signal out of the computers (to hook up to a KVM switch and to a monitor for my own use).

I know there are dual head cards on the market, but I need to be able to see _all_ the boot process on both places, so I was wondering if there are any kind of "Y" video cables, you know, that take ONE input and send it out on TWO outputs.

I've been having a look at the BLACBOX catalog, but I haven't seen anything like that, and I was wondering if there is anything like it, or it's just a crazy idea of mine...

Thanks a lot

Javier

Javier Jarava
Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Javier,

There is such a gadget -- search online for "SVGA splitter".  I used 2-way cable version a few years back, but it looks like there are more robust versions which offer more "splits" (4, 8, etc.)

http://tinyurl.com/uix8

Norbert Burger

The dual head ATIs will write to both screen in DOS or NT initialization mode, once windows is up you can modify the display driver settings to ensure mirroring is the way to go.
There are some settings to play with and might involve reboots. So go with that hardware splitter idea if you can.

Li-fan Chen

Thanks for the info. It looks like the "SVGA splitter" route is what I need.

As for the ATI dual head suggestion, I can't really expect the labs PCs at a client site to have such a configuration, though it's good to know about it, in case I need to design a more "permanent" setup for our own inhouse lab.

I can realistically ask for them to pay for a $30 2 port video splitter (or carry it myself onsite), but not ask them to get two high-end cards.

In any case, thanks a lot for the info. And keep the suggestions coming!!

Javier Jarava

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home