Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Google & .NET

Just venting some frustration here. Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft would choose a name for a product, .NET, that you can't search for on Google? How do I find articles related to .NET, and not every page that has "net" somewhere in the text?

If I'm missing something obvious, feel free to wound my pride.

NC
Friday, November 07, 2003

It's a major annoyance.  My trick: most articles on .Net will either be discussing VB.Net or C#, so I use a query like:

Foo "VB.Net" OR "Visual Basic .Net" OR "C#"

Where "Foo" is the main search term.  If you don't want to type that all the type, you can bookmark a Google results page with the boilerplate in the search field.

Robert Jacobson

I encounter problems with Google any time I want to use puctuation.

Sometimes I want to find a specific string with periods and commas, but Google won't give it to me.

It's not MS's naming problem, it's Google's deficiency of searching puctuation.

Walt

Perhaps because .net is so much hype and vapor, MS wanted to make it difficult for you to ascertain that by Googling.  Now they want to buy Google.  Hmmmm...

Obvious

searvh for "dotnet"

using VB.NET, or dotnet are good ideas, but in this case I wanted something a bit more general; anything to do with Navision and .NET.

Perhaps it is a Google deficiency, but Microsoft should've known it would be an issue, and accomodated somehow. I can only assume that for some reason they desired this.

Then again, this is the same company that let their co.uk domain lapse ;-)

Beats me.

NC

I agree that this is a Google deficiency.  They seem to have decided that many features of the English language are superfluous (such as punctuation, capitalization, and certain words).  Very annoying for a variety of searches other than .NET.

I don't seem to be having any problem getting relevant results by searching for Navision and .NET.  Interestingly, Google claims that "and" is unnecessary yet returns entirely different results if it isn't included!

SomeBody

This is all part of Microsoft's strategy to undermine Google.

I remember when Google did not support any punctuation. So you could not search for "C++". Google would ignore the "++" and just return pages about C. :-)

runtime

Also try searching for COM!  doesn't really work...

The next microsoft technology should be ecalled www...

Roose

Or "sex", the most common search term on the Internet.
:-)

Amour Tan
Saturday, November 08, 2003

>It's not MS's naming problem, it's Google's deficiency of searching puctuation.

Fine, can you please post exactly how you'd keep the search quality as they are now, and still allow for a search for .net come up. What if I release a product tomorrow called .com, will it outrank all the stories about .com failures, and verisign etc...

fw

NC, I think in the case of Navision and .NET, the bigger problem might actually be that there doesn't seem to be much useful information about Navision online anywhere, at least not in English.

I have yet to find anything online about Navision other than extremely high-level marketing fluff.  I am starting to get the feeling that this could be by design because it seems that a lack of publicly available technical documentation would be a huge advantage for all the expensive VAR contractors out there selling Navision solutions, since they don't really want customers to be able to figure out things for themselves...

Tim Lara

I rarely find anything about .Net answered via a Google web serach that isn't just a web-enabled copy of the newsgroups.  With a Google Groups search, I just tack on "group:microsoft.public.dotnet*" to grab all of the .Net-related groups... works like a charm.

Greg Hurlman (blogs.squaretwo.net)

>  Fine, can you please post exactly how you'd keep the search quality as they are now, and still allow for a search for .net come up. What if I release a product tomorrow called .com, will it outrank all the stories about .com failures, and verisign etc...

If it has a higher PageRank(tm), then yes, of course.

steve

>If it has a higher PageRank(tm), then yes, of course.

What an ignorant reply. No, sorry, tell me how you fiter.

fw
Sunday, November 09, 2003

I asked a guy from Google this exact question at GnomeDex. He was surprised and told me that certain keywords will ignore the normal search routines and give you the results you might expect. He thought .NET would have been one of those keywords, but apparently not. He said he was going to mention it to someone, but he either didn't or they didn't want to make it a special keyword for some reason.

I do find it amusing that PHP is the top result for .NET.

Ben
Monday, November 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home