Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Wouldn't you like your boss more if he could ...

"Speaking of Allchin, you've  not lived until you've watched a group vice-president (Allchin owns Platforms, which means that he has ultimate responsibility for what goes into Windows - what you'd expect to be a fairly PHB role) go head to head with Don Box on the latter's preference for emacs (Allchin's apparently a vi man) and then write code live on stage in front of seven thousand geeks and a worldwide audience. Oh, and argue variable naming conventions too. Either a) the guy's been drilled to within an inch of his life or b) he's a quick re-learner (or, even more scary, c) he's more competent than about 50% of the dreck that wears the "Software Developer" badge)"

http://www.gritstoneandchips.com/Blog/default.aspx?date=2003-10-28

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, October 30, 2003

Having been involved with several (non-MS) trade shows/keynote addresses/demos, I'd place a large sum of money on a) with a bit of b).

_Nothing_ happens on the spur of the moment or by accident - everything is carefully arranged and rehearsed _many_ times  (except for computers crashing...).

I'm not sure of Allchin, but most of MS upper people were coders at one point. I doubt if he has enough time to stay at the level required for that demo (or if he codes at all anymore).

RocketJeff

Also, the emavs v/s vi was also probably carefully arranged 'banter' to keep the presentations interesting.

RocketJeff

Vi vs. Emacs?  Variable naming conventions?  How does that make him more competent than 50% of the deck?  Seems like pointless cruft that has as much to do with actual software engineering as debating 'tastes great, no less filling!'

tester

"Seems like pointless cruft that has as much to do with actual software engineering as debating 'tastes great, no less filling!'"

Exactly.  I'm betting that it was all rehearsed and staged to create the appearance that Allchin actually knows something about programming.

TV's Mr. Spock

Man, you guys are cynical.

Diragor

If the world weren't such a wonderful place, we'd all be cynical.

Ori Berger
Friday, October 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home