Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Microsoft's Got It's Eye on Security

http://news.com.com/2008-7349-5089681.html

A picture is worth a thousand words, way to go Bob.

Wierd Eye For The Straight Guy
Saturday, October 11, 2003

Great picture.  If you don't smile in a photo, then you'll either look like a terrorist or a stoner.  I wonder if he _was_ smiling.

Been lots of MSFT blurbs in the news lately, but nothing new.  Same old rehash:
. Hackers are criminals.
. Users need to update their computers.
. Users need to turn on firewalls.
. IT needs to control its users.
. Change the subject when Linux is mentioned.

Am I missing something?

nat ersoz

I've seen used car dealers who look more honest than that guy. I can't believe he actually approved CNET's use of that photo. He should probably invest some of the money from his Microsoft options and hire an image consultant.

But on the topic at hand, I don't suppose one of his brilliant strategies is actually fixing the damn holes in Windows, is it?

whoa dude

So last time they started taking security seriously, it was just telling people what they wanted to hear.

20+ years in the business. A monpoly on desktop OSs. A good chunk of the server market and NOW they're gonna get serious about security. Thanks Bill.  Perhaps you could've gotten it a litlte sooner, still aceived your monopoly and still had tens of billions in cash. I guess a win/lose strategy had been working all along so why change until the cash is jeopardized by liability litigation.

You did a much better job "getting" the internet than you have "getting" security.

fool for python

So has Microsoft transition to overseeing security from overlooking it?

Kraig

I like the part where he weasles around diversity...man, this guy is just _so_ lame, I wonder if his own kids would believe him...

whatever
Monday, October 13, 2003

I found something even lamer:
http://www.geocentricity.com/

lamer than thou
Monday, October 13, 2003

That's not lame, it is outright stupid!

whatever
Monday, October 13, 2003

Bob Muglia has some sort of facial disfigurement or partial paralysis.  The photo is an accurate representation of what he looks like.

I don't know him well but what contact I have had with him leaves me with the impression that he is a quite nice, but forthright, person and not at all a weasel.

A little insight.
Tuesday, October 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home