Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

MikeRoweSoft - the epilogue

Mike Rowe (of last week's storm in a teacup) is auctioning the threatening letter he received on ebay.  Last I looked bids stood at $540.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3382073018&category=2312

Clever lad that.

a cynic writes...
Wednesday, January 28, 2004

It would be funny if that violates some clause in the settlement betwixt him and MS and they sent the sharks in again.

Scooby

Greedy guy. Microsoft already compensated him a lot.

Karthik

Microsoft gave him an X Box. That's like the episode of the simpsons where Homer sells his soul for a doughnut.

How is that greedy?  If just wanting to earn money is "greedy" then aren't we all thus?  DOesn't there have to be a matter of scale?

Money aside, that's a pretty funny idea.  Funnier still is that Microsoft cared in the first place.  I guess though it could be the camel's nose under the tent in Microsoft becoming a generic term.

name withheld out of cowardice

> Greedy guy. Microsoft already compensated him a lot.

Who is to say what is too much?

Joe Blandy

"Microsoft gave him an X Box. That's like the episode of the simpsons where Homer sells his soul for a doughnut. "

Yeah, I can see that but at the end of the day he still would have lost control of the domain. So in that light, an Xbox is better than squat.

Mark Hoffman

Hmmm http://www.mikerowesoft.com/

Still exists, but now is "MikeRoweForums.com" even though it has the same URL. Apparently now he's an expert marketer as well.

"I have joined together with students from Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania 's top ranked Wharton School of Business to form a freelance marketing agency. I've seen first hand the power of technology and the media to bring any business the attention its owners desire. My partners and I have become experts in utilizing these tools to develop and deliver truly original concepts at the lowest possible cost..."

Gimme a break.

www.MarkTAW.com

Address:  $10.

Web site development:  $100.

Demand to Microsoft:  $10,000.

Being able to market-speak and still tell the truth:  Priceless.

T.J.

"T.J., I'm telling you register tjmaxxx.com because you're the maxxx, the publicity you'll get will be through the roof."

www.MarkTAW.com

His mum should start a site for Apple computers and see if the lawyers of any tennis legends get in touch.

Ged Byrne

He got way more than just an XBox from Microsoft.  I trust that everyone here is capable of locating the relevant news articles if they're interested in the full story (my guess is they aren't).

SomeBody

MikeRoweSoft settles for an Xbox

"On Saturday, according to The Seattle Times, Microsoft and Mike Rowe came to an agreement. In exchange for transferring control of his domain name, Microsoft has promised to help Rowe set up a new Web site, pay for a Microsoft certification course and subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network Web site and pay for his family to visit Microsoft Research Tech Fest at Redmond in March. To top it all off, he will get an Xbox with some games."

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=mikerowesoft&sa=N&tab=wn

www.MarkTAW.com

Hmmm...looks like oracull.com is available.

Orac Ull

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

What I love is that when you enter "mikerowesoft" into google, it politely asks:

"did you mean 'Microsoft'?"

Aussie Chick

What I haven't been able to find an answer to is, when these articles say he got an "MSDN subscription," do they mean something like the MSDN Universal Subscription, aka "The Big Honkin' Binder of CDs/DVDs"?  If so, then he made out like a bandit...never mind the XBox thrown in like a cherry on top.

Eric Bowersox

That'd be my guess, MSDN Universal.

By the way, if you search for "microwsoft" on Google, it offers Microsoft as the right name, too. I bet it's phonetic.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

mikerowwwwwwsoft

Did you mean: microsoft

microsvt

micrewsvt

www.MarkTAW.com

TJ Maxx was a running joke with me when I was in junior high.

As for MikeRoweSoft -- Google should redirect you to the Microsoft's Legal Department.

T.J.

"Greedy guy. Microsoft already compensated him a lot."

And Microsoft and Bill Gates aren't greedy?

T. Norman
Thursday, January 29, 2004

The whole thing is silly, but I'm impressed with the amount of stuff he managed to blag of Microsoft.

Now, if only I could register a variation on Microsoft to get a free MDSN subscription.

Steve Jones (UK)

Bids stand at $2,025.  Like I said - bright lad.

a cynic writes...

penis?

Hupen Freund
Tuesday, February 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home