Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Poll: definition of advancment in CS

What is your definition of advancment in computer science?
From the user point of view?
From the programmer point of view?

Astrobe
Thursday, January 22, 2004

Computer Science and and SW Development are very loosly linked.

Your question is akin to asking:

What is the definition of advancement in Nuclear Physics?
From nuclear power plant monitoring dude's point of view?
From the A-Bomb building dude's point of view?

Andy in Austin

Ok, that's indeed two questions; advancement in programming ( tools, languages, API... ) and advancement in UI.

Astrobe

May be your question is what is out there to achieve for me?

programmer

Well - I actually have a bet on with a computer scientist friend in which he has bet that by 2010 he will have proved that P=NP or that P!=NP - that would be advancement in CS.

Of course, advancement is also him paying me £5000 when he loses. The moral of the story is of course never make bets when drinking.

Andrew Cherry

From a user perspective I would say "natural" interaction, i.e. the use of conversation and gestures.  This is still pretty primitive, but there are continual incremental improvements.  We're getting there.  Slowly.

From a programmer point of view I would like the languages we use in our day-to-day craft to actually represent the state-of-the-art thinking from 20 months ago rather than 20 years ago (or more!) that we have right now.

That doesn't mean starting with a cross between Algol and assember (C) and then grafting on bits of Simula in order to get C++/C#/Java.

It means actually looking seriously at all the languages and research taking place (e.g. with Haskell and Oz) and putting it to good use!

David B. Wildgoose

" P=NP or P!=NP"

It would be more an advancement in science in general than in computer science.

P=NP iff P=1 anyway

Astrobe

That they finally stop exclusively exploring  theories from the application realm of batch processing. Hey, we have had an abundance of these IO intensive thingies called peronal computers for a few decades now. You know, the ones that have a "clock" (gasps of horror from the CS labs).
Isn't it time computer scientists took notice and work on models that move beyond "controlled closed universe" assumptions (Turing machines and its equivalents)?

Just me (Sir to you)

Astrobe: I think you mean iff P=0 or N=1. :-)

Gareth McCaughan

" N=0 or P=1 "

Everyone knows that N is non-empty :)
Stop geeking now :)

Astrobe
Friday, January 23, 2004

>> From the user point of view?
Improvements in the usability of browser based interfaces.

Saturday, January 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home