Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

job references from current job?

I have a job, but I am interviewing elsewhere. Long story, but my work does not know and I don't want to rock the boat. What would you recommend if an interviewer asks for job references? Should I just give references from past employers but omit my current employer? Or would that be suspicious? Or would you ask someone other than your current boss to give a reference?

thanks.

Monday, January 19, 2004

It's generally accepted that if you're looking for another job you may not be able to supply references at your current place of employ, and if they do they'll be people you trust enough to let know that you're leaving.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, January 19, 2004

They should understand, and respect, the situation.

One possible option is getting a reference from a manager that has left your company recently.

Nigel
Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Or to hand over a copy of a recent written evaluation, annual review type stuff.

www.MarkTAW.com

Ask a suitable mate to be your reference, if they are also your lead programmer so much the better.

Mr Jack

Let them know that your current employer doesn't know yet about you wanting to leave, but that they will be able to check him for reference once you have told him.

Once your prospective employer has set his mind, let your current one know that he can expect a call ... and talk the problem through, so he won't be surprised and/or angry when the recruiter calls.

Did that once, worked fine.

Renaud Martinon

American employers will not provide references other than "XX worked here from date to date in that position" for fear of litigation.

coresi

"Once your prospective employer has set his mind, let your current one know that he can expect a call"

And if they change their mind based on what your boss has to say?

www.MarkTAW.com

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=105023

Diwakar
Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Sorry, Please ignore my previous post. Check this link:

http://www.references-etc.com/employment_reference_checks.html

Diwakar
Wednesday, March 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home