Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

India is Copying!

I had a good friend of mine recently come back from india in an effort to find a suitable IT host. He came back with some horror stories for software companies and devlopers. On his second day he ran accross some software vendors selling a "windows" type op system (forgive me I forgot the name). The vendors stated it was wrote by a Indian Software firm. When it evaluated the demo it was too aparent it was Windows 2000. Just one that had been manipulated to display different icons and Titles. So he bought a copy for $10. Yesterday we loaded it on a test machine noticing that most of the DLL's and OCX's were named the same as in Windows. We took a hex editor to win.exe and compared the outcome with the Indian Version, Walla a perfect match.

Not that I support Microsofts Business ethics or tactics 100% but such blatient copyright infridgement is outragous. I'm sure they have done the same with other American Products out there. Knowing the fact that India is one of those nations that, for the most part, does not recognize International Copyright laws its all too apparent why they do this! Pure Profit and anothers expense!

JS
Sunday, January 18, 2004

If you've paid $10 for a pirated version of Windows 2000 you have been ripped off. The going rate is $2.50

Stephen Jones
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Are you saying there's illegal copying going on in Asia?!?!

Cubist
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Wow - you paid $10 for a pirated version of MS Win 2000.

Man - you have been ripped off.

You should go back to India and get a refund - I would protest to the BBB of Delhi.

Stand up for your rights - $10 for pirated OS is too much.

Rhinestone Cowboy
Sunday, January 18, 2004

I hope this test machine wasn't hooked up to the internet. Did you do any packet sniffing to see what kind of spyware they baked into it?

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Our cost of developing software has gone way down since we moved operations to India. US copyright la is just too strict to permit efficient and effective development processes. Let the fittest developer win!

Outsourcer
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Is this forum legit? or full of a bunch of programming want-to-be's???

It was not pirated. This So-Called indian software company simply changed the cab files to replicate their own Company Label. And then proceeded to sell this product to other countries in SE Asia. This is Microsoft's code, its clearly a blatient copyright infridgement. Some of you sound like that is ok?? Personally, being a programmer I say its not.

Go Pakistan, Nuke India! 

JS
Sunday, January 18, 2004

Don't you mean "prograemer"?

Jimmy
Sunday, January 18, 2004

"Our cost of developing software has gone way down since we moved operations to India. US copyright la is just too strict to permit efficient and effective development processes. Let the fittest developer win! "

In addition, we've found our costs of delivery have plummeted since we started stealing cars...

Philo

Philo
Sunday, January 18, 2004

"Voila", not "Walla"

Sunday, January 18, 2004

"In addition, we've found our costs of delivery have plummeted since we started stealing cars..."

Absolutely! Our reasonably priced $5995 marketing report explains the 19 reasons why all competitive companies must adopt a strategy of larceny, bribes, and offings.

You can't have the Robber Baron without the robbin!

Hood
Sunday, January 18, 2004

"It was not pirated. This So-Called indian software company simply changed the cab files to replicate their own Company Label. And then proceeded to sell this product to other countries in SE Asia. "

Sounds exactly like pirating to me

"This is Microsoft's code, its clearly a blatient copyright infridgement."

Why do copyright need to be kept cold?  :)

sgf
Sunday, January 18, 2004

it wasn't *sold* as pirated, but as a different competing piece of software.

in other words, microsoft (copyright owner) needs to investigate the indian company, not the sucker who bought the CD.

now the real interesting thing would be if they re-built it from the source code or just hacked the DLL resources.

mb
Monday, January 19, 2004

Wow !!! what an eye opener............. with a sample size of 1 company and yes just a single company "JS" is trying to say "India is copying".......

There is always an ugly side to good things ............. and the same applies to India (as it would apply to the US or any other country in the world).

I can understand that quite a few people in the west feel that they have a score to settle with india (as they perceive people from India have taken away their jobs etc). But then trying to create a hue and cry about things like the one mentioned in this post does not necessarily do anything furitful. And this does not mean that am supporting what these "copiers" have done.

Its like branding the US as a "fraudlant accounting system" by just taking the samples of 'Enron' and 'Anderson'. But then other people do understand this and act otherwise knowing that everything has an ugly side !!!

What side one wants to see and explore depends on the perception and mentality of the person doing the evaluation.

Instead try and suggest some means to curtail such incidents/activities of copyright infringment.

Shai
Monday, January 19, 2004

Finally,

Only one person gets it.. MB.

js
Monday, January 19, 2004

No, MB doesn't get it. The company that changed the cab files won't exist. The renaming of the cab files is simply so the disk doesn't get confiscated so easy. It's possible that the legit shops that used to issue you with a receipt (sales tax included) for your pirated software have been warned, so they are insisting on only taking original software. So the guys that copy the CD's put an imaginary company logo on them.

Still it could be worse for MS. They could have changed the names of the cabs on a version of OSX 10 or Linux, or BSD :)

Stephen Jones
Monday, January 19, 2004

amazing how the humor seems to be missed. Good point about not all of India. I lived in Thailand. I recall bootleg music all over the place. It was awhile back (before VHS etc.). People told me Taiwan was even worse but I never went there. I lived in Brazil and I was suprised that I did not see the same thing and still do not. But really this thread is too funny ... the guy is surprised that he wasn't in Kansas any more.

Me
Monday, January 19, 2004

In Saudi in the early nineties nearly all Western Music was bootleg. This changed over a period of eighteen months when the record labels all starting selling their legit cassettes at $5 each (the price still holds now). The $2.50 bootlegs went out of business, though you still find them for Indian music.

Stephen Jones
Monday, January 19, 2004

Good point Stephen. I used to (legally) videotape movies off of cable for adding to my video library. Blank tapes costed $5 then and new movies on tape $50. The price difference went down to $1/$20, but who cares because it is not worth paying $20 for a movie you watch at most twice but usually once.

Now that I can buy a DVD of any movie I want for $10, the entire economics have changed. I now buy every movie I want to see and that money goes to the studio instead of to the guys making blank videotapes.

Music CD companies should take note. $20 is way too much for the latest from Eminem. Reduce music CDs to $8 and the industry will stop bleeding to death. That and stop selling garbage music. People with money for CDs don't want to hear Britney.

Tony Chang
Monday, January 19, 2004

Dude! Like $10 is too much.  I would have paid $5 the most.

Rah
Thursday, February 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home