Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

company from which laid off hiring again

The company from which I was laid off a year and a half back is hiring again.
I had a good relationship with the manager, and because of funding constraints they had to let me go. I got a nice reference letter from my manager.
I was thinking of approaching him again, but could anybody give me some idea of what to say exactly?

Anon
Thursday, January 08, 2004

Are you a social derelict?

Hi John!

Hey Jim!

How ya been!

Good Good Good Yourself?

Not so bad hanging in there.

Say John, I noticed the ad for the programmer position and was wondering if I could send you my resume!

Hard Times are real, There's dusty fields no matter where you go

What he said, just say hi and ask if they could use your help.

Li-fan Chen

Try:
I am looking for another opportunity and we had a good relationship.  I hear you may be looking for someone and with my experience, I think we should talk it over.

- Never mention your current job status, you ALWAYS have one. Even if it is looking for a job.
- Never mention money.  Talk about responsibility and opportunity.
- If it sounds good, have him/her take your resume to HR.

AnonAnonAnon

He is the HR  actually, sole responsiblity for hiring in the company

Anon

Send him a personal mail. Tell him how much you enjoyed working there and ask him if he could consider  your resume. Make sure you talk about the work and sound very enthusiastic.

Being helpful

Say "Please???  PUHHHLEEASEEEEEE?  PRETTY PLEASE????  AWWWW COME ON????????  PLEASEEEEEEEEE!"

This is the most professional method that will earn you much respect for long time. CHOP CHOP!

Make sure and mention that you miss boinking his wife.

...and don't forget to mention how you always did the TPS reports properly. You did get the memo didn't you?

old_timer

boinking...is that a synonym for "respect great words of wisdom"?

Isn't "funding constraints" a euphemism for "we thought you sucked"?

only kidding

boinking is a synonym for banging.

runtime

I'd recommend against going back.  If you do go back, you'll always be viewed as damaged goods.

bob

In this economy, it doesn't hurt to ask if you could be considered for the position.  Since you know the job, you may be given preference.

Smitty

You don't really have anything to lose from sending the letter, except maybe some dignity. Who knows, maybe there's some networking opportunities even if you don't get the job, or decide not to take it.

If you're hard up for work, explore all your options.

www.MarkTAW.com

I'd say call first. 

With luck you might be able to avoid the whole application process (local law permitting).  On the other hand if it is a no go you'll probably be able to pick it up in his voice.

The phrase I always look for on a reference is "we would be happy to re-employ..".  If it's there (and don't worry if it's not, not everyone puts it in)  you're half way home. 

A cynic writes
Friday, January 09, 2004

Enter through the "supplicants" door.

Obtuse Simpsons Reference
Friday, January 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home