Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

MyIE2 zoom feature

I have just stubled upon a new feature of MyIE2 - if you press CTRL-+ (hold down CTRL and press the gray plus key on your numeric keypad), the web page zooms, including text and pictures.

This is very useful for sites where the standard CTRL+mouse wheel "change text size" command of IE doesn't work. These sites use styles for fixing the fonts sizes, and so CTRL+mouse wheel doesn't work.

I think this zoom feature is excellent for people with bad eyes, like me.

MyIE2 is a an excellent, free tabbed browser. It is based on the IE components, so it's compatible with all sites, and it's LOADED with features!

I have no connection with the developers of MyIE2, other than that of using their fine product!

MyIE2 can be found at:

http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

software enthusiast
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Opera kicks its butt.

Israel Orange

Yes, Opera may be better than MyIE 2.

But MyIE 2 is based on IE and uses the IE components, and this counts for me a lot.

Maybe IE doesn't respect some parts of some standards, but 98.71% :) of the sites are coded and tested for IE, so, by using MyIE 2, I get perfect compatibility with these.

software enthusiast

I'm sorry, is that IE5/win, IE5/mac, IE5.1/Mac, IE5.1/MacOSX, IE5.2/MacOSX, IE 5.5/Win or IE6/Win.

Furthermore, were they tested at a variety of settings for default font size (which, due to the way IE handles font sizing (everything but px) may royally screw the layout? 

And don't forget quirks mode, which has changed at least twice now and broken several sites I've seen.

IE isn't a panacea for the web.  If it works for you that's great, but don't tout it as the most commonly tested against browser, there are simply too many variants and versions running around with different settings to test appropriately.

Lou

Yes, but it's still a lot better than using an alternative browser.

software enthusiast

Sometimes language is an insufficient medium in which to show incomprehension.

Simon Lucy

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home