Is there a good tool which help you to see
which application or which web site sucks up
all the bandwith of our LAN

QuarTex
Tuesday, September 23, 2003

http://www.dumeter.com/

Ben R

I am in the process of writing something specific as I couldn't find anything I wanted. I needed to capture data whilst logged off.

My App currently caputures Network Adapter traffic to a DB.

But not at a process level.
That would be neat!

Net Data Developer

DUMeter unfortunately only shows you what's happening to your machine. I guess the original poster is looking for a tool that tells him which of his users is listening to a portugese internet radio while downloading movies off Kazaa and sucking up all the bandwidth.
I'd be very interested in such a tool myself.
Net Data Developer, would you update us your project when it works?

Yves

There are lots out there. You might want to put a server (running a free os like Linux or BSD) between  your uplink and your firewall running ntop. I have seen some people use it with some success. Some of these are kinda faulty though, because they misreport protocols and what not, and if you don't upgrade (usually they are free upgrades, we are talking open source here) you'll miss out on the latest and greatest "in" protocols.

Li-fan Chen

Also watchout for ethereal.. if you know how to make real good use of it you probably can afford something really expensive.

Li-fan Chen

There are modPerl modules that can be used as a proxy to limit/monitor bandwidth. Also, OpenBSD's packet filter PF can do this

Tom Vu

You need a protocol analyzer: http://www.wildpackets.com

pUnk

Beware your switch!

If you use an Ethernet switch on your LAN (as most people do nowadays) then a traffic monitor placed at a workstation will not see the traffic running between the offender and the Internet.

You need to ensure that the traffic monitor can see the traffic, likely by putting it on the network between your firewall and your switch, and having said interposition running through an ordinary hub, rather than a switch.

David Jones
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Some network traffic analysers can sniff on a switched network by using arp poisioning.

i like i
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home