Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

billing question

i'm editing a flash website for a client.  very small job, estimated 4 hrs, at $30/hr.  basically just trying to learn flash, very easy stuff, no problem. 

after i finish, i realize i don't have a font-family installed that the site was originally made in.  this affects stuff like the company logo and most of the text.  when i substitute arial it just looks nasty.  to download this font family from Adobe costs $129.  the client does not want to pay for any fonts.  they're willing to give it to me to use for their site, but they have Mac versions of the font, and i use a PC. 

What do i do?  i'm tempted to suck it up and just lose money on this deal, but that's really frustrating.  Anyone know where i can rent a font for a one-time use?  any Mac to PC font conversion utilities out there?  any other suggestions?

nathan
Monday, September 22, 2003

Contact Adobe and explain the situation. There's an itty-bitty sliver of a chance they have a dev program where you can get the fonts cheaper. (and it doesn't hurt to ask)

Ultimately, if you "can't get there from here" I'd say shell out for the font, and chalk it up to lessons learned. Do a kick-ass job for the client and maybe it'll come back to you in follow-on work.

Philo

Philo

rent/borrow a macintosh?

stretching

hmmm... maybe i'd be able to find a kinko's that has a mac, then it'd take me maybe 15 minutes to install the font, publish the site, and upload it to my webserver...

i'll look into that.  thanks.

nathan

i found out that adobe allows you to do whatever you want with a font once you buy it from them, as far as converting it to different platforms and things like that. 

i was able to find a shareware version of a font converter, CrossFont  - http://www.asy.com/scrcf.htm , and it worked like a champ converting my mac font to PC.

thanks for the suggestions - $120 isn't much, but every little bit helps.

nathan

Yes, Adobe lets you convert.  After all, given the widespread piracy of typefaces, they are probably glad to have any business.

However, Adobe also expects that you purchase enough font licenses for each user of it.  Last time I needed to wory, it was 5 users per font license.

Flamebait Sr.

Depending on which font you're after, we might have it.  PF licenced a bunch of fonts from the old Adobe collection...  Take a look.

http://www.ProfessionalFonts.com/foundry/

Mike Peterson
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home