Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Days when you love your job

Hey all,

Today is one of the days. Maybe it's the large amount of caffiene in my body flipping the chemical switches. Maybe it's the total lack of sleep smoothing the turbulent waters of my mind. Whatever the reason, I love my job.

As some of you might well remember, oh those horrid memories, I've been, and still am, developing a website for a real estate company.

The backend has never been a problem for me... I've always been a "play with the engine, who cares about the body," type of guy, but the front end... the ui... now that was something to behold... or not, at least in my case.

The first UI was horrible, unwieldy and downright broken. Looking like something designed by a techie and created by a child with crayons.

The second was "better" than the first, but never really cut it in regards to looks - nice grrl, shame about the head - can someone say 'shallow'?

Now we come to the current version. I'm not saying it's a guiding light in terms of UI or looks, but dang, it's come a long way from stage 1. And to hell with you guys! I love it!

Mind you, after 6 months, I'd have shot myself if it hadn't started singing and dancing the blues, or at least looked like it might.

To me days when you love your job are days like today, when the obstacles are cleared, the goals are reached and your own sense of worth is achieved.

Sure, tomorrow's gonna suck when it all comes crashing down, but hey, you gotta enjoy it while you can.

Jack.

Ps. For the terminally bored www.resultswa.com.au

Jack of all
Monday, September 22, 2003

Why exactly do I need Cyrillic fonts to view the website?

Because I'm an idiot. Sorry old bug re-instated and now, removed.

... the house of straw starts falling down...

Jack of all

thats not a bad UI.

I and my partner have been house hunting in New Zealand rather a lot recently, through www.realenz.co.nz

its UI is astonishingly bad...I think it must be surprisingly hard to marry the flexibility of a good search, the info for each property and easy constant access to the results and still keep a clean interface.
Yours is the closest to a clean solution Ive seen, thats some very nice work IMO.

FullNameRequired

Congrats!!! The site looks great, and the UI *works* great.

It's a rare person who can take criticism well & work with it. Even rarer still is someone who seeks the advice of others. My hats off to you.

PS I hope those switches STAY "on" for you for a long time.

Mark T A W .com

Jack of all - hey, we've all done it, its just more embarassing when it is so public :-)

I have to say (sorry) that my first impression is that it looks like so many other websites. Why is Results special?

Additionally I can't tell exactly who it is targeted at. I know, the latter is difficult, as you are probably targetting both sellers and buyers whose aims are 180 degrees opposed. And do I really want to know about how much those lazy b*st*rd agents are earning if I'm doing either of those things? No. I want to try and ignore it as much as possible otherwise it might make me feel uncomfortable and make me think "Hmm, I could just place a small ad in the newspaper...".

Hey, you can ignore me anyway, I know nothing about real estate and am also not a web designer, I'm just telling you what I thought.

That's a pretty nice layout, I hope the client sees the work that went into that. 

My single comment is that your bandwidth is going to be higher than it could otherwise be due to excessive amounts of presentational markup (lots of tables for non-tabular data, superfluous divs, etc).  If bandwidth isn't a major concern (that is, your anticipated load doesn't exceed your current bandwidth cap) than go on with this code, its certainly functional.  But if you see that bandwidth is a concern there are things you can do (gzip for one... structural markup is another).

Quite good all around, well done.

Lou

Hmm ? People are still using plain-old CGI ? Nice looking site, that's for sure.

Evgeny Goldin

Might I make a suggestion.  I know that you are trying to promote the Camp Quality on the main page, but that graphic looks horrible there.  You site has such a nice clean look, but the first thing that my eye went to was the drawing by the 5 year old on the left.  The picture works fine on the page that you navigate to, but on the main page I don't feel that it fits.

Just my opinion.  Good site!

Matt

Matt Watson

The "Price Range" combo has minimum width and presumably no data.  I don't know whether that's deliberate or not, (viewed with Opera v7.03 on Windows NT4).

David B. Wildgoose

Sorry to say, but if we talk about http://www.resultswa.com.au then I would say design sucks.

Also tried "Request for Finance Information" without filling the form. i get the errors on a separate page, hit Back, and of course I have to retype all my info. Grrrrh.

No navigation, the looser-user do not know where he is.

na

Regarding bandwidth -- I'm connecting at 24kbaud and it loaded very quickly.

Good job.

Ed the Millwright

Not bad. We have been looking for property lately
and we didn't see one interface that was really
exellent. I think it's just a difficult set of compromises.

I would put the Quick Search on the main page.
People looking for property don't want to look
at the site. They just want to search.

Mapping links would be good, though i trust
the directions very little.

A section of property highlights is helpful. What makes
the property special?

The arrows on the email agent are annoying.

greengenes

Great job on the redesign.  This is a marked improvement upon the last design.

Two small, nitpicky observations:

- The Remax balloon in the banner looks bad.  Its kinda blocky, like it was reduced with low-quality image manipulation software.  It also looks like you applied a Sharpen filter when you should have applied a Soften filter.

- "Quote Of The Day" sections are cheesy, cheesy, cheesy.

Neither of these are showstoppers, just personal opinion.

Matt Foley
Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Just want to say thanks to everyone who commented, both praising and critical. As usual I'll take what you've suggested and run it past my dog, and anything he likes, I'll implement ;)

On another note. Still on that high.

Jack.

Jack of all
Tuesday, September 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home