Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Request: suggestions for web research editor

I do a lot of researching on the web. I look for new programming tools, stock market research, etc.

NEEDS

1. Ability to annotate a web page.  Highlighting is essential.  It would ALSO be nice to make notes regarding those hilights.
(BTW, I know that PC Mag has a plugin for IE browser that does this, so that's my current best option).

2.  Save the above, annotated web page so that the page and highlighting/notes are visible on any web browser.
(This is what the PC Mag plugin does NOT do).

Any suggestions?

Entrepreneur
Friday, September 19, 2003

"From any browser" - on your machine or on any machine?
On your machine is doable but odd.
On any machine is problematic - the only two ways to accomplish what you're doing are either to edit the original source, which you're not gonna get; or else serve the page from a server you control, which runs into copyright issues.

For the most part, you can't get there from here. :-/

Philo

Philo

Buy a full copy of Adobe Acrobat - not just the reader.

Suck the web pages into PDF files.

Annotate them all you want. The annotations are stored in the PDF and can be viewed anywhere there's an Acrobat reader.

Not quite what you asked for, but pretty close.

Chris Tavares

Hmm, sounds like you want E-Quill.  It's a plugin for your browser that lets you do all that.  If I remember correctly, it stored the annotations etc along with the URL that you edited on their server then produced an URL that you could send to people.  When others went to that URL, it sucked the page through their server, added the annotations and stuff and then sent it on to their browser so that they saw the edited version without even needing a plugin.  All for free too.  I remember thinking that it was really cool when I first saw it three or four years ago, even though I couldn't think of any time that I'd actually use it.  Unfortunately it looks like they've sold up and moved on... http://www.e-quill.com/

r1ch

I was looking for an alternative to E-Quil and came across this - http://delver.org/dave/eqcolo/01.html I guess the guys that built it were kind of sad to see it go.

r1ch

Philo,

I just want to view it on my machine.  It's for my own personal use.  Essentially the equivalent of printing it and them marking it up with a hilighter and a pen. But I'd like to make this paperless. (Scales better and saves a tree or two).

Any suggestions?

Entrepreneur

Another vote for Adobe Acrobat. That's how I work. I load a page into a PDF file, highlight, annotate, and have a copy to keep. It's very handy. If you catch some place like Office Depot with a coupon, you can get it for a reasonable price.

Troy King

check out http://www.netsnippets.com/

steveL

Google Cache provides a unique URL with highlighting, in a general sort of way.  No annotations though.

I am wondering how they get around that copyright issue.  Philo..? 

B-Cide

How about the obvious... Microsoft Word?  One click of the W in the toolbar and Word opens with the current web page.  It can then be edited and saved locally as a doc, htm, mht, or whatever.

SomeBody

NetSnippets is pretty cool and easy to use.

However, it doesn't work with my tabbed browser (Avant Browser "wrapper for ie 6).

And it's a bit pricey ($80).

The EDIT with Word suggestion is a good one. Why didn't I think of that?

Entrepreneur
Monday, September 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home