Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Wireless LAN question...

I'm trying to find some wireless lan hardware to hook up a couple of buildings about 150 yards from any building.  Can anyone recomend a brand they like?  I'm looking at the Cisco site now, and Linksys and Belkin are next on my list.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Any suggestions except "run a fiber cable" because that hasn't been done in the last year or two.

Andrew Burton
Thursday, September 18, 2003

The honest truth is you're going to be VERY lucky to get two consumer-grade 802.11 devices talking to each other at 150 yards. Most devices list their range as about 150 feet, and every wall, floor, or ceiling cuts that in half.

I did find that the 2.4GHz stuff penetrated better than the 5 GHz stuff, so I'd go w/ 802.11b or 802.11g. I use three Linksys WAP54Gs in a 3-way bridge to hook up sections of my house to each other with great success.

Good luck, and don't be surprised if you can't make it happen.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

check cnet for product reviews. the building I am in uses linksys (wasn't linksys bought my cisco recently!) , the distance is probably more like 30 yards,...
most linksys stuff is rock solid

Prakash S

I use Linksys at the house and it works great for short distances, but the signal gets very weak from one side of the house to the other.

I agree with Brad. Getting consumer grade equipment to do this may be tough. My experience has been that Linksys is the definition of consumer grade.

Mark Hoffman

The folks at ArsTechnica's Networking Matrix were talking about this not too long ago.  The users needed to use wireless to create a link from one  building to another.  They settled on using directional antennas to create the link, that will increase the range.  Additionally the recommend running a vpn over the link, firewall to firewall, to prevent snooping of the data stream.

Lou

If you have money to blow:

http://www.terabeam.com/

GoingOutOfBusinessSale

Linksys is, as someone else said, rock solid in my experience. They offer signal boosters, maybe they will help. Also, their site has good info on this, the range on the 5Ghz stuff is much shorter than the 2.4.

--Josh

JWA

If you're on a budget, you can make high gain antennae out of things like tin cans.

http://www.seattlewireless.net/?CookieCantenna

Its better to start with an antenna for ranger rather than amplifiers.  Amplifiers spew everywhere, while antennas are highly directional  That way your private network is a little more private, and others can use the spectrum in a more friendly manner.  Good luck.

nat ersoz

You did not say if this is personal or professional.  The difference will be throughput and strength. 

If it is personal or SOHO, try the professional pringles approach http://www.cantenna.com/.  For the price, it is worth it not to get annoyed at building your own.  If it is professional, then you may want to talk with the terabeam people.  Yes, big $$$ but for a business, $10k can ROI pretty quick.

One other suggestion is reading: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010628.html  "How Bob and His Binoculars Found More Bandwidth and Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bond"  He went with a yagi and got some real distance.

If you have success, let us know.

BTW - I have an all linksys network and the only wireless issue was a machine 100 feet away, through five walls and  into a closet.

MSHack

For $20 the cantenna looks like an excellent idea.

nat ersoz
Friday, September 19, 2003

With 802.11b, I use the Cisco Aironet stuff.  It works great.  Tacking on a 5db Omni antenna, I managed to stretch out the distance to about 0.8 miles pulling around 4mbps.  That was with clear line of sight.  Going through many walls, with the same antenna, I've pulled about 500 feet.

Elephant
Monday, September 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home